Need Advice on Offset Smoker Fire Box

awsamia

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hey y'all! I am in the process of opening a new BBQ restaurant. The location came with a beautiful 12ft offset smoker I will be using. I am having issues with the fire box and I'm not sure how to proceed. The fire box is metal and enclosed with bricks, but the top has a removable metal top. I'm guessing the previous owner maybe put a grate there and used it for direct grilling. My issue is that too much smoke and heat is escaping from the top of the firebox because it is not sealed. I have no intention of cooking over the fire... all of my cooking will be indirect in the pit. I'm wondering if I could just fill this void with concrete to further seal and insulate the fire box? I've attached a photo of the fire box for reference. Any advice is appreciated... looking for the most cost effective solution as well. Thanks in advance!

IMG_2522.jpg

Hey y'all! I am in the process of opening a new BBQ restaurant. The location came with a beautiful 12ft offset smoker I will be using. I am having issues with the fire box and I'm not sure how to proceed. The fire box is metal and enclosed with bricks, but the top has a removable metal top. I'm guessing the previous owner maybe put a grate there and used it for direct grilling. My issue is that too much smoke and heat is escaping from the top of the firebox because it is not sealed. I have no intention of cooking over the fire... all of my cooking will be indirect in the pit. I'm wondering if I could just fill this void with concrete to further seal and insulate the fire box? I've attached a photo of the fire box for reference. Any advice is appreciated... looking for the most cost effective solution as well. Thanks in advance!

IMG_2522.jpg
Fire blankets perhaps.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

If the plate and angle or the flange is the same type of metal weld it and just brick over it.

Total Band Aid budget solution you could place bricks around the edge to pin down the metal plate on the brick flange and put sand around the edge to stop the smoke leak.

My first thought was use fire blanket instead of bricks, but fire blanket is fiberglass and not something i would want in a kitchen.

Do you need to keep the top entry in order to add more wood? Looks like a big FB and a big fire.

To me, the answer to that question will decide between a temp or permanent solution.

From here it looks to be a sheet of flat steel that is warped .If so I'd get a good high temp gasket and put it around the edge and bolt it down.

Do you need to keep the top entry in order to add more wood? Looks like a big FB and a big fire.

To me, the answer to that question will decide between a temp or permanent solution.

Hi! No, I do not plan on using the top to add more wood. The door on the front of the firebox is plenty large to add wood. I am looking for a permanent solution.

I have nothing to add other then good look with your venture.

Thanks... this is my third restaurant. You would think I would have learned my lesson after the first two but here I am deciding to open a 3rd. The love of Q will drive a man to do crazy things.

The steel top is sitting on a lip of brick on all 4 edges... I'm not sure how it could be welded shut.

The steel top is sitting on a lip of brick on all 4 edges... I'm not sure how it could be welded shut.
One idea is to get some 2" insulation (rockwool or ceramic insulation off McMaster-2000 degree) and lay over entire top. Then, have a stainless "cap" made to go over all of it. You could use that as an area to set things then. This would allow it to be taken apart easily if you ever need to.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I thought the darker material was a metal frame but looking at it on my laptop I see what you mentioned that it is all brick. You could put a few thin metal supports the same way the chamber is running then get a piece of plywood put it inside the firebox brace it up with cut 2x4's put a little oil on top of the plywood then just brick it up strip down when the mortar is cured go back and parge the inside top of fire box with more mortar. Then your done.

Is there anymore of that brick laying around your restaurant anywhere basement outside?

Make an angle iron frame with some supports across the opening and brick it in.

Yep, after seeing those, I think bricking it in with refractory brick or covering with mineral wool then additional cap is best idea. Just depends if you see a reason you'd need to have access from top ever. If going the second route, I'd get a rope gasket on bottom side of plate to seal off better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back