Which smoker?

• Old Country Brazos

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Horizon 20" Marshall

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • Lang 48" Patio

Votes: 28 84.8%

• Total voters
What about round firebox vs square? Round offers the direct cooking option as well being easier to use a chimney to start the coals. Also I'd think the round would have more heat at the top to preheat logs?

Thoughts either way?

I know it's not on your list, but I've got a Yoder Loaded Wichita and I haven't experienced the problems that others have posted extensively about. Mine was built after the changes were made and has a larger butterfly vent than the old ones.

I'm really happy with the quality of the cooker.

What about round firebox vs square? Round offers the direct cooking option as well being easier to use a chimney to start the coals. Also I'd think the round would have more heat at the top to preheat logs?

Thoughts either way?

Personally, if he makes them square as std then I'd stick with that. You won't need the flat warming rack per my earlier post like you would with a round one. And I think the flat top will be hotter than a round FB with a flat warming rack welded on.

You likely could ask him to make the top of the FB into a door, so it opens and you can use it for direct grilling/cooking. But in my experience, I've never found an offset smoker FB to be really suited for direct grilling. If you're burnin wood, it usually won't place the grill high enough off the flames; also usually doesn't provide any grill height adjustability. If you're using charcoal, I'd rather fire up my Weber. Plus, then you have issues, again, of breaching the integrity of your FB and worrying about smoke leakage.

So IMHO I'd go with the square FB as is.

I know it's not on your list, but I've got a Yoder Loaded Wichita and I haven't experienced the problems that others have posted extensively about. Mine was built after the changes were made and has a larger butterfly vent than the old ones.

I'm really happy with the quality of the cooker.

What changes did they make?

You might want to check out Fatstack smokers. I have no experience with them but have heard excellent things. They are in the Los Angeles area.

Here is what I'm having Justin price up:

- 24x48 Reverse Flow

- 1/4" steel throughout

- Large Casters. Preferably 8"

- Removable front tray (need to be able to get out through my gate

- Incorporate the a handle in the side rack to move the cooker.

- Wood shelf

- 4 x 1/2" probe ports (2 each side)

- 2 x Tel-Tru Thermometers (1" above grate)

- Highest temp paint her has access to

- Chimney cover/damper

- 4 loops for winching or tiedown points.

Did I miss anything?

Sliding racks are key. Grease drains, perhaps even with a remote lever.

I’ve also seen some cool cosmetic features depending on your budget. Paper towel holders, umbrella holders, shelves for thermometers among the best.

Sounds like RF is the way to go.

Lang got back to me with a shipping quote. $600. So the price of the Lang to the door is $3395. The JH is $1805 with tax.
how did you reach 3395? Was that for the 48deluxe? What other options ? I just ordered one and my shipping quote further north was 500 this week. I got stainless racks, wagon cart with large wheels and fixed prep area. No warmer though. I measured a small Weber aluminum pan and it just fits at 9 inches wide and 13 Long. Withoutbthat stuff it would be $2395.

Back