THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I recently got a pellet smoker and I absolutely love it. I can roll it out, plug it in, set the temp and walk away, and it produces excellent food. I also have 3 young children.

If I had absolutely nothing to do on Saturday I would be tempted to use my old tradional smoker.

With that said my wife and kids prefer the food off the pellet. I think I slightly prefer the old school one because it taste like bbq I had when I was a kid ( and the smoker was literally my dad's).

Outside of a drive down memory lane pellet wind hands down

Pellet stoves were designed to heat houses— not BBQ. The original BBQ design was adapted from home heating units. The engineering design is based on producing the most heat per pound of fuel. The result is very little flavorful smoke—by design. The fuel, itself, necessitates the ultimate design flaw.

That said, I use a pellet stove for food that requires only subtle smoke profiles.

Most folks here are going to tout the taste generated by an offset, for good reason. If you have the time, and inclination, it's hard to beat.

Today, I have gravitated to an insulated Vertical. Run correctly, the smoke profile is very similar to an offset with the advantage that you can maintain consistent temperatures for up to 12 hours+. I can be gone all day and check temps on my phone at any time. It really feels like cheating, but I can live with myself.

I suggest you prioritize your reasons for getting a new smoker. If smoke flavour is most important to you, you probably should get the stickburner IMHO. If convenience is most important to you, and you'll be satisfied with 80-90% of the stickburner smoke profile, then you'll be happy with a pellet smoker.

Unlike many on this forum, however, I would caution against making decisions about smoking equipment or technique based upon what competition teams do. IMHO, they're trying to deliver a flavour profile for one bite, which often doesn't translate well into real, regular 'que at home. And they often make their decisions to address time and other constraints that don't apply at home.

Same concerns, waiting on new Shirley. Love convenience of new Traeger Timberline, will never get rid of, but doesn't have the flavor profile I was looking for. Will use Shirley maybe 3 or 4 times a month, but use Timberline more often.

Back