Boneless beef short ribs on a WSM?

needmorstuff

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am planning a family (just the 4 of us) meal for the weekend and thinking surf and turf.. so going to relegate the fish (salmon or trout.. not sure yet) to my gasser indirect with some wood chips in foil for smoke.

The Turf will be boneless short ribs that I got a good deal on - I am planning on using half of my stash 750gm, my gut is telling me to braise these but has anyone had success on a wsm? if so do you leave it as 1 slab or cut them up etc.. and is 750gm enough for 4? or should I use the full 1.5kg...

thanks everyone :caked:

Last edited:
after a little research - I am going to cut into strips, smoke for 2 hours at 225, then wrap with some apple juice for another couple of hours until tender. I'll just cook the lot!

I'd leave them whole, smoke them until the color looks good and internal temps are 155-160 then wrap in foil with some liquid.....Guinness is always good and cook until they are tender.

I'd leave them whole, smoke them until the color looks good and internal temps are 155-160 then wrap in foil with some liquid.....Guinness is always good and cook until they are tender.

they are in 2 pieces about 1.7 pound each, any guesses as to how long they will take? i'm thinking in the region 3 as they have no bones..

they are in 2 pieces about 1.7 pound each, any guesses as to how long they will take? i'm thinking in the region 3 as they have no bones..

3 hours may work, depemding on the temp you're going to run....id give myself more than 3 hours if you run at 225. if they get done early some extra rest time is always a good thing.

I may have been taken by marketing here... my "boneless beef short rib" is in 2 long pieces and as such can't actually be boneless beef short rib as they come in strips and the bone has been removed.

These are USDA choice imported so I think they are actually "Boneless Chuck Short Rib"

does this affect how I should approach the cook?

I have done these a few times and treated them like a brisket. Cook until probe tender, wrap when they get to 160 or so with some beef broth and you are good to go. If i remember correctly last time I tried a 3-2-1 riblike smoke and they came out great!

I may have been taken by marketing here... my "boneless beef short rib" is in 2 long pieces and as such can't actually be boneless beef short rib as they come in strips and the bone has been removed.

These are USDA choice imported so I think they are actually "Boneless Chuck Short Rib"

does this affect how I should approach the cook?
I believe boneless beef ribs are cut from chuck
Found this.
http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/CMDocs/BIWFD/FactSheets/Boneless_Country_Style_Ribs.pdf

Back