Tandoor Oven testing pics

^What he said. I think (all my theory) previous attempts to replicate naan in a non-tandoor were unsuccessful because of the lower heat of the surface contacting the naan (the stone) as well as the lack of radiant heat around the rest of it.

I can probably get my Kamado up to 600+ but the stone...not sure. Also not sure what temps the stone can take.

You can surely get close with a Kamado+stone... or a tawa .. but not exactly replicated like a tandoor

Tawa Naan - If you can't get a tawa, cast iron works close. ([ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Be9LHPracE"]Tawa Naan - Naan without Tandoor - Indian Flat Bread Recipe by Manjula - YouTube[/ame])

Cool!

I like anything Indian food-esque and that looks good. Your cooker looks like fun, especially getting to slap the naan on the side!:thumb:

This is GRATE!!!!

Nice to see someone gettin' slap-happy w/ the GARLIC naan............:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

This is GRATE!!!!

Nice to see someone gettin' slap-happy w/ the GARLIC naan............:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I think there was definitely room for a few dozen more cloves of garlic :blabla::blabla::blabla:

I need to find time to get to the metal supply store. I'm going to DIY some long, flat skewers (if they have the stainless for it). Kabobs with ground meat will be easier that way.

Also I plan to do some wings next time I fire it up, I'll probably send my rotisserie basket down in there for that. Ain't got time to skewer up a bunch of wings

Fired this up again tonight, this time I was focusing on getting the fire right and the heat up. For those of you that have ever worked with a wood fired pizza oven, you know that you want those inside walls nice and clean white.. that means it's hot enough. That's what I was shooting for this time around.

I created a nice mountain of hardwood charcoal in the middle, lit it, then added 3 log splits. One more log went in. One trick I saw in India was to place a fan blowing into the inlet to get it nice and hot.. did that.

kXqimZfl.jpg

dpKW2kvl.jpg

I'd say it got up to temperature. So much that the light fixture in above it, the plastic diffuser started to melt. Oops.

hTAb2Kml.jpg

O50rnHSl.jpg

Anyways, on to the food pron. I went to the Korean grocery to grab some raw ingredients, but, I couldn't resist the marinaded chicken tenders and pork that was already there.. so grabbed that, along with some wings, and that was tonight's cook. Korean meets Indian? Ok

For the naan, this time I went 50% whole wheat. I prefer 100% whole wheat, but, I've worked with it enough to know to inch my way there.
(ps, I love garlic)

V660DvGl.jpg

go7rCWZl.jpg

Pork
Whjnen9l.jpg

CnXBBx3l.jpg

vkRLUW9l.jpg

3K72jxVl.jpg

Chicken tender pieces
lV5MmV8l.jpg

Wings.. I did them Indian style (same prep as chicken tikka but instead wings) and cooked them on a skewer, but in my rotisserie basket.

SDQZmJfl.jpg

3d printed some hooks for the skewers
G9FMEpFl.jpg

Seth... you're killing me, brother.

There's nothing like that here in E. NM (after your first post, I looked)!

CINCHOUSE and I are suffering from severe Indian withdrawal.

Keep it up, man. This is just fodder for me to join you (one day) with a Tandoor out West.

It's fun to see you killin' it with adventure after adventure.

Damn, Momma almost ate one of those Naans off my screen (and this is a laptop, so that'd be awkward).

Seth... you're killing me, brother.

There's nothing like that here in E. NM (after your first post, I looked)!

CINCHOUSE and I are suffering from severe Indian withdrawal.

Keep it up, man. This is just fodder for me to join you (one day) with a Tandoor out West.

It's fun to see you killin' it with adventure after adventure.

Damn, Momma almost ate one of those Naans off my screen (and this is a laptop, so that'd be awkward).

You'll join the club soon enough I am sure!

Such a cool cooking vessel really, seems to be great for anything that takes well to hot and fast cooking. The bulgogi pork was silly good in that oven, the char on it was amazing.

Here's a better naan view :shock:

V660DvGh.jpg

That looks great! How many times has your forearm hit the edge when making naan?

Your future pain will make the rest of us less jealous. Think of it as a community service. :razz:

I forgot to mention in my summary, that when I was placing a new log into the fire, I lost most of the hair on my one arm :) Long sleeves and gloves from then on...:mod:

This looks amazing! I just won a tandoor from a company called Luxury Tandoors at the BC Home and Garden show here in Vancouver. It's getting delivered next week and I'm so excited! I'm glad I found this forum too as I've never cooked on one before and can't wait to try out some of these recipes, especially the naan! I don't really have any experience besides with our Weber propane barbeque, so I'm going to need all the help I can get.
:help:

-N

This looks really cool. How come it has to run so hot? I have slow cooked some tandoori chicken in my uds. It worked good. Would like to have a recipe for Naan or Tikka.

This looks amazing! I just won a tandoor from a company called Luxury Tandoors at the BC Home and Garden show here in Vancouver. It's getting delivered next week and I'm so excited! I'm glad I found this forum too as I've never cooked on one before and can't wait to try out some of these recipes, especially the naan! I don't really have any experience besides with our Weber propane barbeque, so I'm going to need all the help I can get.
:help:

-N

Just checked out their site.... looks pretty awesome !!!

This looks really cool. How come it has to run so hot? I have slow cooked some tandoori chicken in my uds. It worked good. Would like to have a recipe for Naan or Tikka.

Not sure if it HAS to be that hot.. but.... seemed better all around with the temps above 800. Like a wood pizza oven you don't want the inside soot covered, the bricks should be nice and clean/white.

I have a light on the (low) ceiling directly above the oven, that I'll have to move... damn near melted the thing last time. Maybe even put some sort of sheet metal on the ceiling to protect from fire. Last thing I need to do is burn down my garage because I wanted some kebabs :)

I need to fire this thing up again, soon. I've been traveling for vacation and just getting back into the swing of things.

Already mentioned above I know...India is such a wonderful country with great people, super culture and simply outstanding food!

Love this thread.

NEVER had Indian food!! Looks like I'm missing out. Fun way to cook!

Back