Anybody use only briquettes in their UDS?

TurkeyLeg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The last several bags of RO lump I bought were just full of small pieces that wouldn't last long in the UDS. I've never used just briquettes in the UDS. Just a small amount to get the lump going. Was thinking of trying them.

They work great. More stable temps than lump. I use Stubbs exclusively.

I've used kingsford competition and they are pretty good. Not too much ash. Lately i have been blending them with ro lump.

I use Royal Oak briquettes in mine almost exclusively. Stable temps, easy to get thin blue smoke.

I use only briquettes in my uds. Works great! I have thought about trying lump just for the heck of it but haven't done it yet. I've heard with lump you have less stable temps.

I have done briquettes only, lump only and a mix of the two, and lately I have liked the briquettes only. It seems to be more stable for me. No issues at all.

I use lump a lot now, but KBB was my go to for a long time. Never had any problems with it, and I still use it frequently, especially when it's on sale.

Matt

I basically use only briqs in my UDS, sometimes I may mix in a little lump. I use the Treader Joe's briqs (rebadged Rancher) or Royal Oak briqs. Works great. I tend to use lump just for grilling or indirect cooks in the kettles.

They work great. More stable temps than lump. I use Stubbs exclusively.

Same here. Been using lump in my Egg for the past 4 years and tried Stubbs and Kingsford Competition just for the heck of it the last two low and slows. Temps were more stable and with more consistent TBS using oak and cherry chunks. Very impressed, maybe surprisingly so. I do use a guru but you can see the unit's on/off cycles were more consistent throughout the cook once target temp (275) was reached. Also, the top vent was open more than usual so I felt maybe there was slightly better air flow overall as opposed to having to choke things down to maintain temps. I still have a half bag of Rockwood on hand and can switch again to see if things change.

I've been trying to switch to lump exclusively, but I find that it's just too messy. Small chunks go everywhere, fall through the grate and get in the way of the air flow.

I can only get lump and imagine that briquettes would be more uniform in shape and therefore burn more evenly, and ignite the briquette next to them more uniformly. Because of the random shape of lump, I find you can have too few points of contact between a burning ember and the next piece, which means it doesnt catch as fast, and it is this that gives the varying temperatures I think. Also, lump is not all the same - one part might be more dry than another next to it.

I have often wondered about making my own briquettes, but never gotten around to it yet.

I mix some Kingsford blue with lump to give the meat some of that Kingsford blue flavor that many expect. Temp stays stable.

layer of KBB or K comp. this keeps smaller pieces of lump from falling through.

then a layer of lump with some wood chunks

then another layer of briquettes on top to get things going minion style.

I must be really good at running my drum, only temp spikes are opening the lid, which I don't do until end of cooks. I need to try some higher quality briqs, disliked the ash and smell of the kings ford I used a couple times

I must be really good at running my drum, only temp spikes are opening the lid, which I don't do until end of cooks. I need to try some higher quality briqs, disliked the ash and smell of the kings ford I used a couple times

Yeah I'm worried about the KBB smell also if used minion method. But when it goes on sale it's hard to pass up. Maybe use KBB for grilling and something better in the UDS?

Bought a bunch of Coshell over the winter at $2 a bag and use it in my UDS. The briqs are bigger than the kingsford and they burn hot and not too much ash. They are a pain to light, so I use kingsford in the chimney to light it.

Back