Ordering a Shirley......

IFlyEm

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
OK I have decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Shirley despite the projected delivery date isn't until November. Goo things come to those who wait right??? It's why we do this. :)

Anyway, I am coming off a large Green Egg so this is going to be my first real pit. Please look over my order and see if I am missing anything. I don't want to spend this much money and wish I did something.

Patio 24″x50″ Cabinet
Insulated Firebox w/ 3/4" plate door
Cabinet Doors
Warmer (28” tall) (2 shelf / patio model)
Rotated Warmer (facing the same way as chamber door/doors)
Both Dampers (Firebox to Warmer, Chamber to Warmer)
Stainless steel Shelf in front of cook chamber
Wood basket on back side of cook chamber
Extra Thermometers (per thermometer) - 3 thermometers total
Probe inserts - 3 total (1 per each cabinet door)

Originally I wasn't planning on doing a warming cabinet. Is it very useful? Is it only radiant heat or does it get smoke as well? Also is there any reason to have it facing rearward instead of opening in the same direction as the main cooker doors?

Thanks in advance!!! This is going to be a LONG 6 months!!! :thumb:

With the damper it gets plenty of smoke.you can also direct grill in it with the included charcoal pan.most people use the warmer to preheat their splits. so yes the warmer is well worth it. It's a separate cooker.

I have mainly used my warmer to preheat splits :p

I read about a "searing grate" for the firebox after I had already picked up my cooker, wish I had gotten that option. My only input :mrgreen:

It wasn't an option when I bought mine but I would have added the umbrella holders. Also a 3rd rack in the cook chamber is cheap insurance against outgrowing your cooker but that may require that you extend the cc height. Then you might as well go with the straight back and then it just never stops. Watch the videos, add this, watch a new video and add that. This goes on until you get the call that your build is about to begin. Oh, I also like the little drawer under the ss table.

Edit: I got excited and forgot to say congrats and welcome to the family!

Congrats on the Shirley!

Congrats! Welcome to the family. The warmer is great and pretty versatile. Really makes a lot more things possible than just smoking... I have hung Tacos Al Pastor in there, Chickens too, Also great for Pizzas.... I don't think I have any pics, but its great for longer distance direct grilling as well... Start a fire in the bottom and grill some chicken on the top grate. Possibilities are endless. You can also open the damper and smoke with it like a vertical cabinet and save some fuel if you want...

Welcome to the West Coast Shirley Family :thumb:

You will want the large wagon wheels for one person maneuverability. These things are beasts.
Probe inserts - 3 total (1 per each cabinet door): on the door or on the chamber above the door?
I don't use my controllers much since getting the Shirley.

Congrats on the new cooker :clap: but why the insulated Fire box here in So. Cal ?

For me the "warmer" is my primary direct grilling portion of the cooker. I keep the charcoal pan in there and fire up steaks, burgers and the like in there. It's very handy when you want a quick cook without firing up live fire.

Congrats on the cooker, best wishes for the waiting.....:clap2:

im sooo jealous! i wil be putting my order in later this year. it is very similar to the build that you would be doing. i just want a longer cook chamber to fit a larger whole hog in

Congrats on the new cooker :clap: but why the insulated Fire box here in So. Cal ?

safety...might have little ones that he doesn't want to get burned or maybe he's a clumsy farker.:heh: also saves on fuel, paint stays looking better longer and they just look a little meaner to me vs the standard warmer to firebox straight edges. i really like mine and i am in Central Texas.

safety...might have little ones that he doesn't want to get burned or maybe he's a clumsy farker.:heh: also saves on fuel, paint stays looking better longer and they just look a little meaner to me vs the standard warmer to firebox straight edges. i really like mine and i am in Central Texas.

I see now thanks for the clarification thumb:

I see now thanks for the clarification thumb:

it's not a cheap option so you really have to need it or really want it. i can definitely understand putting that money into other options. tough decisions.

I had my Shirley built 2 years ago. The warmer is a must have. I do all my grilling in it, and also warm my splits in the winter. My cooker is the best thing I ever bought for myself. Con grats and welcome to the family.

OK I have decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Shirley despite the projected delivery date isn't until November. Goo things come to those who wait right??? It's why we do this. :)

Anyway, I am coming off a large Green Egg so this is going to be my first real pit. Please look over my order and see if I am missing anything. I don't want to spend this much money and wish I did something.

Patio 24″x50″ Cabinet
Insulated Firebox w/ 3/4" plate door
Cabinet Doors
Warmer (28” tall) (2 shelf / patio model)
Rotated Warmer (facing the same way as chamber door/doors)
Both Dampers (Firebox to Warmer, Chamber to Warmer)
Stainless steel Shelf in front of cook chamber
Wood basket on back side of cook chamber
Extra Thermometers (per thermometer) - 3 thermometers total
Probe inserts - 3 total (1 per each cabinet door)

Originally I wasn't planning on doing a warming cabinet. Is it very useful? Is it only radiant heat or does it get smoke as well? Also is there any reason to have it facing rearward instead of opening in the same direction as the main cooker doors?

Thanks in advance!!! This is going to be a LONG 6 months!!! :thumb:

Ya it's been said, but the warmer is awesome. If in your head you have 100% reason to not get it then don't, but if you are uncertain if you will need it that normally means get it :-D. And get both dampers.

If you easily have the extra coin in your warm temperature zone then get the insulated firebox then get it just because you have the money and can. But you don't need it. I get the "kids" point of view and stuff, but most times when I'm cooking there are kids around mine (and I don't have kids, but I just yell at them :becky:) and I'm glad that saved $$ went into a bigger cooker with more options like a big old tool custom box up front, extra shelf, sausage rods, extra rack sliders, etc. Doesn't mean it's right for you, but just giving you another perspective. If I had the extra $$ to "burn" I would have gotten the insulated box on top of all of that because they look awesome.

Back