Brisket Probing Video - Doneness Description

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I cooked a brisket yesterday and wanted to take a video of showing the "done probing feel". This may or may not be helpful, but I know for me the feel was difficult to understand just by describing it when I first started cooking bbq. So maybe this will help some who like the "visual'ness" of someone desribing what they are feeling.

So if you can suffer through me rambling on here it is :loco:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTiRsduKcXk"]Another Brisket Probing - YouTube[/ame]

And some pictures of the done sliced brisket

You know how to prob a brisket brother! Lol, good video. I also don't like it when people say "like butter" it's not an accurate description.

Thanks Jason. After grilling and smoking for 40 years I'm about to try my 1st brisket tomorrow. Your timing is impeccable!

You know how to prob a brisket brother! Lol, good video. I also don't like it when people say "like butter" it's not an accurate description.

I may have probed it for a few more minutes after I stopped filming........:loco:

I haven't done enough briskets to know what to look for when probing. Thanks for the video. Your brisket looks to be pretty close to perfect.

I haven't done enough briskets to know what to look for when probing. Thanks for the video. Your brisket looks to be pretty close to perfect.

Thanks. I got another one going today so I might do another done video.

thanks JT very accurate description , perfectly done brisket does NOT probe like a hot knife going threw melted butter in fact you do get a little "brisket hugging affect " , the point of the brisket more closely resembles the hot knife and melted butter but defiantly a difference ....

Good visual.

Maybe i just like them overcooked by the standard but "like butter" or better "zero resistance" are accurate for what i call done.

However you call it experience is the best way to learn feel

Thanks for posting, It helped me out, now just let me know when the next cook is and I will arrange a visit to my sis-in-law in neighboring Tucker GA!

I have a probing question: Was it as much fun to film as it was to watch?

Thanks for posting, It helped me out, now just let me know when the next cook is and I will arrange a visit to my sis-in-law in neighboring Tucker GA!

I lived in Tucker for a couple of years :-D and still get through there weekly. Sounds like a plan :becky:

Great video to a probing description that's been floating around here for awhile.

Great video.
While the Brisket was resting did let it cool to X Temp. ?

This one rested for about 2hrs and I didn't temp afterwards. Most times I get a 2-5hrs rest before slicing. Though I've done 30mins venting on the counter and sliced before and that worked fine.

I know there are methods that instruct to cool/vent to say something like 170 before wrapping back up and resting. The way I cook the most venting it gets is 5-10mins.

Nice background music! I was waiting for a Ron Jeremy cameo! :heh:

Great video and explanation!

This is maybe the most useful post of all time, at least for me.

Thanks, I'll make sure we'll give you credit now that we'll start placing well in brisket with slices also ;-)

This is maybe the most useful post of all time, at least for me.

Thanks, I'll make sure we'll give you credit now that we'll start placing well in brisket with slices also ;-)

Thank you. Glad to share what others have taught me :-D

Back