1st attempt at smoked meatloaf

I like a 50/50 Mix of Ketchup and A1 for my MeatLoaf Glaze. Mmmmmmmm
I'll be doing Loaf this Weekend........:heh:

Looks grate !!!

welcome to the meatloaf party !!!

Did you just dump the cook grease, or figure out a draining method?

Anyway, looks terrific !!!!

Try salsa on top sometime for a little change-up......

I drained it. Next time I'll probably go directly on the grate. The wife loved it!
Now I gotta figure out what to smoke next...a chuckie perhaps? Wonder if a London broil would be good to smoke?

Looks like you pretty much nailed it on the first attempt, looks delicious!

I usually start mine out on a piece of foil on the grate with a drip pan underneath, so that the loaf doesn't "sink" into the grate. Once it firms up after 45 minutes or so, I just gently roll it off the foil directly on the grate to finish. I do mine on my Weber kettle, always a hit. sometimes I like a glaze, sometimes not, when I do, I usually mix 1 part ketchup, 1 part Sweet Babay Rays and 1/2 part preparred mustard, comes out pretty tasty.

KC

Very nice ! Like mentioned, you won't be cooking one in an oven ever again. I do mine straight on the grate with a drip pan on the next lower shelf.
And like a fatty, never make just one :thumb:

Nice looking loaf!

FYI: silicone grid mats (FrogMats) work well for meatloaf. Just place the mat on your cooker grate, then place the loaf on the mat. The small grid pattern allows the meat to be supported on the grate without going through the grids, which makes getting the loaf out of the cooker much easier. Because the mats are silicone and the meat doesn't generally adhere, getting the loaf off the mat is easy.

Bruce

I don't recommend a pan either, but I do like something under my loaf so it doesn't stick to the grate/ form to it while cooking. Generally I make mine with 5lbs of beef so they are a little tricky to get on the grates. What I do is use heavy duty foil. I form the loaf on the foil and use the foil to lift it onto the grate, once there I cut/rip away the foil around the edges of the loaf. When it is done cooking it makes it easier to slide a big spatula under it since it is not stuck to the grate, and I use a set of tongs to lift it too.

I drained it. Next time I'll probably go directly on the grate. The wife loved it!
Now I gotta figure out what to smoke next...a chuckie perhaps? Wonder if a London broil would be good to smoke?

London broil's a little trick, but done like a lot of folks do with a very low smoke then hi-heat sear at the end, I think you'd be good......more of a 'grilling' thing & does better med. rare, so go up to 110~120 int. then sear....

Here's one I did awhile ago:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189719

Chuckie is fun, I use it to make a cheater barbacoas for burritos. And if you haven't smoked a fatty yet, throw a few of those in there too. Actually even if you have throw some of those in there.

I accidentally did something similar to this a few years back. I was putting a couple fatties together similar to meat loaf ingredients, and put it in the frig to firm up while I put the lacing together. I started opening the 3 day old package of bacon that had came straight home to the meat keeper in the refrigerator. Rotten was not even a close description to the smell. Got it double zip locked and went to the freezer to take back the next day. Our nearest grocery store is 17 miles away.

Wifey said “what we going to do with the rest of it now?” I said no problem, we will just smoke it.

It was delicious, now on the menue.

This was my meatloaf from last night. Took 1 1/2 hours at 300-310. Put it on parchment paper with a hold cut in the center for the grease to drain out.

4CD5177A-A072-4A8B-8197-7941046FD4FB_zpsucyc3w5f.jpg

My chuckles usually take close to 3 hours, wrapping in a pan with veggies after an IT of 160 or so then going to 200-210.

F18F9FF8-E3A2-4545-9301-927B4ABE237C_zpsrls1ldph.jpg

Back