24lb Frozen Turkey On My Egg. Wanna Watch??

Jason TQ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Getting back from a quick weekend trip from FL and figured I wanted turkey. Publix has them for $.59/lb so I bought the largest one they had at 24.5/lbs and figured why not just cook it from frozen right?? No time to thaw.

Got home at 3pm.

Trying to thaw a little, but gave up

Fire up the egg

Rubbed the frozen carcass and put it on

Playing with new toy

Turkey went on at 3:30pm and is pretty damn frozen. Like the bag of neck and giblets is still all up in there. I'll try and get them in a bit. Turkey is also foiled right now to avoid murdering the skin which I think will happen anyways :becky:

This says it can be done in 6hrs, but i'm shooting for sooner so we can eat before 9pm.
http://blog.williams-sonoma.com/yes-you-can-roast-a-frozen-turkey/
Freaking mayo clinic says it's safe so good enough for me :)
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...pert-answers/thanksgiving-turkey/faq-20058301

We'll as I type this it has been 45mins and at 402. I'll attempt to shove the meat probe in there sometime as well. :clap2::clap2:

I would be scared of this,could be a recipe for food poisoning? IMHO cooking any large piece of meat that's frozen is dangerous. There may be others that think different. But good luck.

Well after 2 hrs I got the legs separated and stuff out.

I have most of the back of it out. Was hard to spatchcock while still a little frozen. Look at the massacre.

Fully foiled up again and still rolling hot. Wings already had a lot of color and skin got a little messed up as I flipped it to cut out the spine. Really just expecting a bunch of pulled/chopped turkey.........hopefully :-D

As long as it gets thoroughly cooked.
Carry on. You're doin' good.

I probably wouldn't have done this, but, I think you'll make it work

Alton Brown prefers not to use a pan because he feels the bottom gets less heat than the top so he puts the pan well below the bird. I'd tend to agree with his method if I used a pan. Anyways frozen birds are fine too cook and don't take very long to un thaw in a high heat environment.

So I checked after another hour and the legs are getting to 120 already, but the breast still 40'ish, but thawed :-D. So to expedite so I can eat in an hour I cut the breasts from the breastbone and dumped some more rub in there. Keeping legs/wings foiled.

Still hoping total cook time is around 4hrs. A bird this big and probably with most from frozen those legs and especially wings get done early and the frozen middle takes the longest.

Ended up being pretty good. Took right at 4hrs with the high temp and additional butchering during the cook. Definitely some spots more moist than others, but was a fun experiment. Not knowing what to expect it worked out. Might be easier with a smaller bird :becky:

And my favorite thing of the whole cook is this pic of the turkey doing a sweet "predator" impression :-D

Leg a little overdone and no skin, but the outside had this kind of charred crispiness to it that was great

Some white meat

Some dark

A bunch of the leftovers that will become soup tomorrow and other stuff this week

:shock:Let's see how this turns out, Gotta give it to ya for the effort

Back