First Spatchcocked Turkey and first on WSCG with SnS

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Terry
So, as usual, we took a drive several hours north to spend time with friends for the holiday. What was different this time, we loaded the WSCG into the back of the truck, and took it with us to smoke the guest of honor.

First a PSA. I thought it was a good idea to get the pit into the truck, cover it with the Suncoast cover, and then secure it with rope criss-crossing it several times to keep it covered, closed, and secure. About 30 mins of highway speed, I noticed it billowing up. Pulled over and checked it. Shredded. Not the covers fault. Not what it's really meant to do, and it looks like it vibrated against the hinge, got cut, and then the wind caught it. Will place a new order next week and see if Bill will give me a discount for being a dumb-a$$... Don't try this at home... :doh::tsk::mad2: <sigh> Back to the good stuff.

Got to the friends house in time for Mesquite grilled Ribeyes and cold beer. Got my pumpkin pies baking and then spatchcocked the turkey, dry brined it, and into a cooler to do it's magic. Next morning, rubbed it down with butter, injected it with Tony C's Jalapeno Butter, and hit it with some pepper and chopped poultry herbs.

E5BDAB46-A7CB-4DDF-8441-3FF8BF46AD14_zpskx9yhjkk.jpg

Got the WSCG started and the Guru holding it near my 335* target and threw the bird and the backbone on with a single chunk of cherry. This is about the time I realized I left my Thermapen in the kitchen drawer. Had to go by the Guru temp probe, only had one shot, so I decided to make sure and take it to 165* in the breast. Of course, 20 mins later it said it was done. Slight adjustment, and it showed a much cooler temp.

IMG_2688_zpstsvubxzw.jpg

About an hour in:

5E8E55ED-EADD-442A-BFEB-04E89B5F7975_zpsptrzfbhj.jpg

Done right around 2 hours:

88C0F737-05A6-497D-8AC3-2FBE31E197F7_zps4rnja6tw.jpg

DB631DE6-107E-45B4-8D1C-4614AB8B859E_zpstkgozyga.jpg

Oh, I didn't remove the butt until after it was cooked. I had two Korean women fighting over it until I cut it in half...

Sliced:

5A6DEB26-14B8-4C01-AAB7-5918DF5B6B49_zpsk7j8j5ke.jpg

This was probably the best turkey I have ever cooked, if not ever ate. The skin was very crisp until it sat in a puddle of all the juices that were running out of the meat. It was tender and flavorful. Just perfect.

Here's the spread with the turkey, ham, stuffing, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls, gravy, cranberry sauce (the can type, not that healthy crap), and three different pies for dessert:

718F42E3-098A-4F85-9924-AC577C3F7B41_zpspjsba9no.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Your entire spread (not to mention the turkey), looks amazing!

Can I ask what are the advantages to using the SnS in this particular cooker (is that the right word?), instead of using indirect heat with the deflector that comes with it? Trying to learn as much as I can before deciding on a purchase - Thanks!

Your entire spread (not to mention the turkey), looks amazing!

Can I ask what are the advantages to using the SnS in this particular cooker (is that the right word?), instead of using indirect heat with the deflector that comes with it? Trying to learn as much as I can before deciding on a purchase - Thanks!

If I am truly smoking something low and slow like butts or a brisket, I’ll use the WSCG deflector. For almost all my other grilling / smoking, especially at higher temps, I like the SnS over the baskets it comes with. They are just too thin. I have to say, I have never tried the deflector and high heat.

Do you think the BBQ Guru was worth it?

Only if you value things like sleep or peace of mind. If not, nah... :loco:

I like that I can use it on my cabinet or my WSCG. Don't need a separate unit for either.

Back