Custom Weber Kettle Cart

Brad, do you have the tools and stuff to do a little metal work. I would make brackets that tie into the kettles leg holes and attach from above. 1/8" steel should be adequate. Nice cart. I did one for my 26" weber and turned it into a Performer with gas start. I love it.

Brad, do you have the tools and stuff to do a little metal work. I would make brackets that tie into the kettles leg holes and attach from above. 1/8" steel should be adequate. Nice cart. I did one for my 26" weber and turned it into a Performer with gas start. I love it.

HOLY CHIT! That is the best cart I have ever seen! Marty you are truly an artist.

That is sweet!!!

I have settled on some rafter ties that I got at the Depot. Going to bend them and attach to the bottom of the 2x4's in 4 different spots so I will have support at 6 places for the kettle. Decided not to use the conduit clamps as they would have had to be screwed into the top.

Ok, the rafter tie idea worked better than I had hoped.

IMG_00991.jpg

Congratulations. I'm envious of your ability.
Surprised there hasn't been a kick starter campaign for a unit that someone could assemble. You'd think there would be a nice market for one considering how much of a price swing there is between a OKP and a Performer.

Very nicely done, Brad!

I thought about building my own cart but before I found the roundtuit I found a used Performer. One of the greatest features of the Performer, IMO, is the lid holder. You might want to consider making arrangement for hanging the lid off the backside when you're cooking.

Have you decided on the SS yet?

Very nicely done, Brad!

I thought about building my own cart but before I found the roundtuit I found a used Performer. One of the greatest features of the Performer, IMO, is the lid holder. You might want to consider making arrangement for hanging the lid off the backside when you're cooking.

Have you decided on the SS yet?

Found some brackets at the Depot that are perfect for what I want as far as hanging the lid. I'm not sure yet that they will work, but I painted them today in anticipation.

Gonna get a SS sheet that will slip over the prep area. 28 X 33 1/2. More pictures tomorrow.

Congratulations. I'm envious of your ability.
Surprised there hasn't been a kick starter campaign for a unit that someone could assemble. You'd think there would be a nice market for one considering how much of a price swing there is between a OKP and a Performer.

I can tell you after building this that it would be a very expensive kit, and heavy. This thing probably weighs north of 400 lbs. You figure 2x4x8 are 17 lbs each and I have used 27 with probably about 16 ft of waste. 25X17 is 425. Then you have the kettle and casters so I'm guessing 450 or so. The casters are rated at 250 each.

If I was going to build these and sell them I would probably charge about $2k, and I don't believe there is a market for them at that price.

Here's the bracket I found at the Depot. Almost like it was made for this, even has the offset for the lip. I will mount two of them on the kettle end and hopefully they will support the lid. I have other options if this doesn't work, but this would be the cleanest.

IMG_01061.jpg

I have decided not to mount the hardware until after I stain. Hopefully I will be able to do that next weekend, though it may have to wait another week. No sense in putting the hardware on then taking it off again to stain.

Here is what I am using. Sprayed with the Rustoleum hammered copper.

IMG_01051.jpg

So it's been a bit hectic over the last couple of weeks and I haven't been doing much with the cart.

This past weekend I was able to solve the lid hanging issue.

Built an extension out from the kettle end and attached two conduit clamps for the Weber hanger to attach to.

007.jpg

This works well, and can be removed if necessary.

008.jpg

Ordered my stainless steel from online metals. $71 delivered for a 31x34 sheet. I need to stain first.

I did a test run on a piece of lumber with the Thompson's Teak Timber Oil. Looks really good. I'm hoping to get that done this weekend if the weather cooperates.

Good idea, Brad.

You might want to consider putting a sheet metal screw through the clips on the hanger and your conduit straps. I've found that the hanger doesn't want to stay in place when you pull the lid out of it.

Back