Franklin BBQ: A Meat Smoking Manifesto (Preview)

PekingPorker

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Last Friday I got to go to a BBQ and Wine Pairing with Jordan Mackay, Author of "Aaron Franklin: A Meat Smoking Manifesto" here in Atlanta. My friend is a wine maker in Sonoma (Inman Family Wines) that was one of the featured pairings with barbecue, and knowing that I'm a bbq geek she invited me to this private event.

I got to spend quite a bit of time with Jordan Mackay and he let me see the book. He was a really nice guy, and when I told him that I cooked competition bbq, we immediately hit it off and spoke for awhile about all things 'cue.

First off, this book does not have many recipes in it. It is not a cookbook, it's a book for BBQ Geeks, which is virtually every Brethren I know. The book details the methods, the art, and the science of barbecue. Franklin explains his processes from choosing and storing wood, to burning seasoned wood for heat, green wood for smoke, where to build the fire. He details the high quality of beef he uses, which he believes makes a big difference in his product.

Mackay spent seven days (really nights) with Aaron Franklin observing each detail of the process. Aaron helped write the book and gives some recipes, but I didn't see anything that he hasn't already shared on his youtube channel or in interviews. I didn't flip through every page of the book so I'm sure there's a ton of stuff in there that we haven't heard before. I did see the brisket recipe and process in explained in detail.

It was apparent that spending time with Franklin turned Mackay into a BBQ Junkie and he has an appreciation for bbq cooks he told me he did not have before getting exposed to the real bbq world. A real appreciation for the time and dedication that pit-masters have for their craft.

Attachments

• franklin cover.jpg
    franklin cover.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 1,180
  • franklin cover 1.jpg
    franklin cover 1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,181
  • franklin cover 2.jpg
    franklin cover 2.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,180
Last edited by a moderator:
I pre-ordered my copy last week. Now, I'm really looking forward to reading it.

thanks

I did not think it was a cook book

says its a manifesto

I am pre ordered too

;)

I'm glad to hear it isn't a recipe book. I wanted a manifesto like the title implies. I've pre-ordered it as well, can't wait to read it.

I pre-ordered my copy too. Can't wait for it to arrive on the 7th.

Added to wishlist.

Better half told me barbeque books have to come out of the barbeque budget. What the hell is up with that anyway?

We are planning to wait in line there on Wednesday

Enjoy! The line is a long wait, but, like anything, if you're prepared and with good folks it's actually not bad at all. Best brisket I've had, that's for sure. I really enjoyed the sausage as well. We got there at about 8:30 on a Friday and were about 35th in line. Got to meat fellow Brethren Gore there, which was fantastic.

Looking forward to getting the manifesto - have had it on pre-order for a while now.

Looking forward to it and it arrives on my birthday!:thumb:

Pre-ordered. I can't wait for the great surprise when I come home from work to see this waiting for me!!!

Back