Turbinado sugar ?

Bigbears BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm going to switch from brown sugar to turbinado in my rubs and was wondering if you notice the molasses taste missing and if so do you do anything to replace it. TIA

It depends on how much of your rub consists of sugar. I've used brown sugar, turbinado, white sugar, that pourable brown stuff....I don't notice much of a difference but my rubs are pretty sugar light. I don't think you'll notice much difference going from brown to turbinado

I switched to turbinado for my rubs and i think it's great. i dunno what your style is, but if you like saucy bbq then just add more brown sugar to your sauce if you think it's missing from the rub

Personally I like the texture of Turbinado vs regular or brown sugar. I think it really helps on pork/ chicken.

Thank you for the replies, just wanted to check in with people who have switched over. My rub started as Meatheads Mephis dust and has been modified as I go along.

Thank you for the replies, just wanted to check in with people who have switched over. My rub started as Meatheads Mephis dust and has been modified as I go along.
That is where I started also. That was a lot of work and I found myself adding more turbinado. These days i just use a 50/50 BY WEIGHT blend of Head Country Championship Seasoning (Rub?) and turbinado. It has just a hint of sweet but it has made me stop using sauce on ribs. And I like sauce. I switched to turbinado because it doesn't clump like brown sugar.

I switched too, good flavor.

Back