Check in and Inspection

HouseofSmoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Morning :)

I want to make sure that I have what I need close and accessible for check-in and inspection,

Other then the meat and fire extinguisher what do I need to have available at check in so we can go to our site and get started?

Thank Y'all

If you're talking KCBS, you should have 3 bins for washing/sanitizing with a sanitizing agent (bleach or similar) and an instant read thermometer. Not every contest checks but they seem to check more often than not.

KCBS events usually only want to see meat. Be sure it's in a good bit of ice and under 40 degrees. (some inspectors are ticky, some are not at all)

They should not stick your meat with a thermometer per KCBS rules. This is a bad practice. However I've had them pick up each package to verify that it's plenty cool.

Use common sense. After you get through this one it'll be a breeze.

Good luck!

If you're talking KCBS, you should have 3 bins for washing/sanitizing with a sanitizing agent (bleach or similar) and an instant read thermometer. Not every contest checks but they seem to check more often than not.

smoker has sinks built in would that work?

It seems like a lot of what gets inspected depends on what part of the country you're in. I've only ever been asked to see a fire extinguisher one time. Every other time, it's a 10 second check of the meat to make sure it's in a cooler with ice.

I agree CPW. I've done a contest that didn't inspect my meat :shock: and I've done a contest that wanted to see everything including gloves. Better to have it and not use it than make a last minute trip to the store :doh:.

It seems like a lot of what gets inspected depends on what part of the country you're in. I've only ever been asked to see a fire extinguisher one time. Every other time, it's a 10 second check of the meat to make sure it's in a cooler with ice.

This has been my experience until one comp where they were looking for sanitizers, triple sinks, fire extinguishers and were checking temps of coolers... After the 4th or 5th team, they calmed the F down because based on those rules, they were about to disqualify every team they had talked to!

The reps around here check that the meat is on ice, teams have gloves, an instant read thermometer, charged fire extinguisher and wash/rinse/sanitize station.

The reps around here check that the meat is on ice, teams have gloves, an instant read thermometer, charged fire extinguisher and wash/rinse/sanitize station.

Now I will admit maybe I missed it, but where in the KCBS rules does it say meat has to be on ice(as opposed to my fridge) or that teams have to have gloves(it does say about cleanliness and safety but not specifically gloves that I see) or an instant read thermometer( a lot of teams only go by time and feel and tons of different temps even on chicken ie. Harry Soo's chicken breast in the past).

Now I have all of that and USE all of it, i just question how a rep can enforce something NOT in the rules unless it is a comp specific rule

We've done 1 comp in Ohio and 1 in Indiana this year, both KCBS.
Both checked that the meat was on ice (and didn't appear to be brined or seasoned) and that we had fire extinguishers...that's it.

The answers to your questions are easily found in the KCBS rules

From my experience reps aren't checking that meat is on ice. they are checking to make sure its sufficiently chilled (less than 40 degrees)

I assumed the OP wasn't a fancy pants with a fridge :p

Now I will admit maybe I missed it, but where in the KCBS rules does it say meat has to be on ice(as opposed to my fridge) or that teams have to have gloves(it does say about cleanliness and safety but not specifically gloves that I see) or an instant read thermometer( a lot of teams only go by time and feel and tons of different temps even on chicken ie. Harry Soo's chicken breast in the past).

Now I have all of that and USE all of it, i just question how a rep can enforce something NOT in the rules unless it is a comp specific rule

I was using "on ice" generically, properly working fridge is be fine too. Interpretation of the rules is at the discretion of the reps. So, my take is that the reps around here have decided you need gloves to comply with 17b and need a thermometer to comply with 17f-h.

I was using "on ice" generically, properly working fridge is be fine too. Interpretation of the rules is at the discretion of the reps. So, my take is that the reps around here have decided you need gloves to comply with 17b and need a thermometer to comply with 17f-h.

Hope your Reps don't decide that you need a separate hand washing sink to comply with 17b as some health departments have in the past.

We had our fire extinguisher checked this past weekend and that was the first time in three years, but it wasn't at check in. The local fire marshall was walking around on Friday afternoon.

Last edited:
Not saying that you shouldn't have these items, but, in doing KCBS comps for the past 12 years, not once has anyone told us that we needed a 3 tub wash/rinse/sanitize station and only twice have we been asked to produce a fire extinguisher.

I'm a rep in the South and if I have to do meat inspection (most of the time a volunteer does it) all I am looking for is it cold (below 40) and is it not seasoned or injected. Also making sure the pork is at least 4 lbs.

When I cook I always have 3 tubs, Thermapen, gloves, and a fire extinguisher.

This year I cooked at Southhaven for the first time and a nice lady from the site asked to look at my fire extinguisher on Friday. She informed me that it was out of date by 8 years!!! Luckily there was a Lowes a mile away so off I went. Of course they are sold out except for a couple of 40 lbers at $80 a piece. Bought it and returned it to Lowes on Sunday.

Morel of the story...read the rules and be prepared even if they are not always inspected.

Back