Check in and Inspection

My fridge was cheaper than the fancy coolers all the fancy pants teams get sponsored to them

Good point! But don't forget the trailer, wiring, and extra electric fees from the contest.

To be clear, I'd love to have a fridge instead of worrying about ice.:biggrin1:

Good point! But don't forget the trailer, wiring, and extra electric fees from the contest.

To be clear, I'd love to have a fridge instead of worrying about ice.:biggrin1:
In my region you don't get away with charging extra fees for electricity if you actually want a full field of teams to sign up.

Now I will admit maybe I missed it, but where in the KCBS rules does it say meat has to be on ice(as opposed to my fridge) or that teams have to have gloves(it does say about cleanliness and safety but not specifically gloves that I see) or an instant read thermometer( a lot of teams only go by time and feel and tons of different temps even on chicken ie. Harry Soo's chicken breast in the past).

Now I have all of that and USE all of it, i just question how a rep can enforce something NOT in the rules unless it is a comp specific rule
KCBS Rule#1. All the rest are really guidelines.

I have been once asked to show a 3 tube system, we have one comp that requires a fire extinguisher that has been inspected within a year....with that said, most comps will let the cooks know ahead of time of any requirements, this helps with communication and cooks willing to return the following year! You might keep that in mind.

Not saying that you shouldn't have these items, but, in doing KCBS comps for the past 12 years, not once has anyone told us that we needed a 3 tub wash/rinse/sanitize station and only twice have we been asked to produce a fire extinguisher.

Ditto. And no one as ever asked to see our extinguisher, either. Verify KCBS number, make sure the number on all four boxes is the same, look at meat, that's it! That's been our experience, anyway.

I transport my meat in two cold Cambros. I let the meat inspector know there's comp meat in both, but it's 50/50 whether they even want to look inside my second one.

We had our fire extinguisher checked this past weekend and that was the first time in three years, but it wasn't at check in. The local fire marshall was walking around on Friday afternoon.

Did you tell him it wasn't required by the rules and send him on his way? :grin:

I've been involved with one comp when the fire Marshall came in and made teams move their cookers away from their tents. At the same event an electrical inspector wasn't going to allow a pellet pooper to be plugged in because it didn't have a CSA or ULA sticker on it. He had to use a battery and invertor to run it (at least until quitting time). As soon as the local authorities get involved the KCBS rules seem minor.

Best. If you have all so if they are check ing you are ready. And yes your meat has to be refrigerated or on ice or how ever to be sure meats are under 43 ..it is all our responsibility to serve safe food to the judges even though I would sometimes. Put in. Something

Fire Marshall s. Have the final say
....they will send you on your way!!!!!

Had a health inspector try to stick a Thermapen in my comp meats while getting a peoples choice inspection. Very interesting conversation about cross contamination and other topics followed.

Fire Marshall s. Have the final say
....they will send you on your way!!!!!
no they wont.

If you have fire marshalls and health inspectors being like this I'd say you need to pick your contests wisely. None I compete at are this way and they instant they became this way I'd be done coming.

I cooked comps for 12 years and not once did a KCBS rep inspect my meat. Always a local volunteer. Never questioned by a health inspector and only a couple times saw a fire marshal.

Have not cooked a ton of events compared to most on here, but have never been asked to show 3 bins. Only ever check the meat, and on their way. Only a fire extinguisher check once as well.

The KCBS rules say the organizers or people they designate will inspect your meat. (In practice, at most contests it's the KCBS reps that do this.)

The rules also say you will have 3 tubs, thermapen, gloves, and a fire extinguisher. The rules don't say you will be inspected to verify you have these, but since the rules say you should have them, some contests check. It's certainly the norm in the northeast that you will be expected to show these things to the meat inspector.

In some locales, the fire department or health department may also inspect you - and when that happens, anything goes. That's out of the control of the organizers, and the rules that they choose to enforce can be arbitrary and up to the whims of the inspector. KCBS is supposed to be a private party for a legal perspective, and outside of the health department's jurisdiction unless you are vending or doing people's choice. You may, however, not win that argument when the health inspector shows up. :becky:

Well run contests let you know about weird rules ahead of time, like requiring tent permits along with lighted exit signs and emergency lighting for your EZ-UP. (Hello Hartford, CT!)

The KCBS rules say the organizers or people they designate will inspect your meat. (In practice, at most contests it's the KCBS reps that do this.)

The rules also say you will have 3 tubs, thermapen, gloves, and a fire extinguisher.

The KCBS rules DO NOT require a Thermapen or other instant read thermometer. Rule 17 only speaks to temperature, not how or with what you measure it. There are Reps that use the God rule (Rule#1) to justify requiring one.

Well run contests let you know about weird rules ahead of time, like requiring tent permits along with lighted exit signs and emergency lighting for your EZ-UP. (Hello Hartford, CT!)

Lighted exit signs on an ez-up? :doh:

Back