2 in Appearance

TheJackal

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
NO I do not have a picture of the box. I do have a picture of the scoresheet. I encouraged a friend of mine to enter his first comp and gave him some tips.

He did great for a first timer but had a bad experience with judging/scoring. His 4th place ribs came with a 2 in appearance. The entire judges score was 298. Other Appearance scores were 99988.

He actually questioned the Rep after getting the scoresheet and was told that the TC saw the score, questioned the Judge, was told that was his correct score, and that was the end of it. NO COMMENT CARD.

I have a new cook (excited about his initial results but) discouraged by an obviously broken process. I'm left scratching my head as well. Did the TC do his job? Did the Rep do his job in this situation? Did the judge do his job? What should be done differently?

53ca3c06-3841-4f40-b61c-6f05b4a4af49_zpsb013da5e.jpg

Doesn't the low score get tossed out?

With 1982 posts I'm going to assume you know the answer to that question. A '2' is 'looks inedible'. Did the process work? Can we ignore an obvious problematic judge/score just because we know it will be thrown out? My assumption is the TC looked at the scores, knew it would be thrown out, and went on his merry way. Right? Wrong? Indifferent? Why no comment card?

I simply cannot understand what one judge could have seen to view it as inedible. Low score or not, that's just not right

Wow that's worse than a 5 we got along with five 9's. I don't know if there is any way to get rid of the anomaly judge. Unfortunately as of now they don't make comment cards mandatory for a certain score. Even if they did the judge could simply right down "didn't look good" and that would be the end of it, which doesn't help either :confused:.

All I do know is everyone hits the bad table or bad judge. We've come to peace with that. The good teams still do well overall even though a bad table or judge can certainly hurt for one competition. But for teams that don't compete as much it can be more of a shock and awe issue if you do only a handful a year and see this in the mix.

That isn't to say revamping doesn't need to be done. If judges could give more comment cards (honest comment cards) on things like this it would help. Also, as on other threads, it seems KCBS could use a more thorough educational system with a few more "standards".

Hopefully they keep competing. Obviously the low score gets dropped here which is a "ok" way of keeping teams from getting hosed. But in all honesty if I had a 172 in something and 4th place I'd probably be pretty happy :-D and not too discouraged about competing :icon_blush:. Especially if I was new :wink:

With 1982 posts I'm going to assume you know the answer to that question. A '2' is 'looks inedible'. Did the process work? Can we ignore an obvious problematic judge/score just because we know it will be thrown out? My assumption is the TC looked at the scores, knew it would be thrown out, and went on his merry way. Right? Wrong? Indifferent? Why no comment card?

He could have 20,000 posts and not know the answer because he may not compete, and was interested in learning.

Comment card should have been issued. Fail by the judge and table captain

I'd question this one with the KCBS office. That could be a typo.

The specific question asked to the rep was is it a typo and could a hand-written 7 have been misinterpreted as a 2. The answer from the Rep was 'no', they checked with the TC who checked with the judge.

I received a 2 in appearance on a chicken turn in a few years ago. I didn't get a comment card either.

It should never happen. 2 is not "appears inedible", it's INEDIBLE. How can a judge determine it's inedible just by looking, unless there is feces in the box? Any judge that gives a 2 in appearance should lose their credentials IMO, and anything 5 or under should require a comment card.

(The set of scores that included the 2 were not my low score, and they weren't tossed.)

He could have 20,000 posts and not know the answer because he may not compete, and was interested in learning.

Apologies if I offended. 2000 posts and in the Comp forum I made an assumption. The question wasn't if the 2 was thrown out (yes it was) or if it was justified or not (it obviously wasn't). The question is if the process worked. Some say it's thrown out and the system worked so move on. I clearly posted because I do not agree. I don't think the system worked in this instance. A glaring issue was brushed under the rug. There is no exaggeration here. This is exactly what happened.

Do nothing? Give the TC the ability to act? Let it fly and address the judge afterwards?

A 2 in appearance but 9 in taste, so obviously it wasn't inedible. Had to be a typo and the Rep and TC didn't want to bother with it.

No offense taken jackal. I see your point, it's about the no harm because the score didn't count attitude. Harbormasters point about the definition of a 2 illustrates that (had me rotfl too) it was a failure all around. I would guess kcbs is popular and growing too fast. While it's good for the organization it seems to have created a few problems especially with finding enough judges. At least that's what I gather from reading posts here.

Wow. I'd be mad about that. That judge should be made to retake the class.

Wow. I'd be mad about that. That judge should be made to retake the class.
Um ya. And maybe the tc and rep if there was not a little get together with all three to discuss it. 2 ap with a 9 taste and an 8 text. That's absurd!!

That happened at Silver Lake?

And the more I think about it. If it was deemed inedible why did the judge even take a bite and judge it on taste n texture?......BS!!!:mad2:

Back