New Smoker(I mean me)

cansno

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm completely new to smoking. Can't believe the info on here. Didn't realize this art was so complex. Almost mind boggling. Received my 18.5 WSM from santa and haven't even fired her up yet. My primary reason for unit is smoking fish, which there is an abundance here. I'm sure cooking will probably come. Trying to soak up as much info as possible first, and doing a few mods that I think will work for me. ie: Added brackets to use a 3rd rack between top and bottom racks. I installed a stove gasket for the cover and fabricated a pan to lodge in the base, to catch ashes and hopefully make cleanup easier. My next step is to light a few dry runs for conditioning. A couple questions I have (there will most certainly be more): There is also an abundance of Alder, Birch, Maple and Cherry around here. Can I use short blocks of wood right from the tree, say, 1X1 or chips for my smoke wood instead of the commercial pucks? Also, I've read you shouldn't smoke fish and meat with the same unit. Is this true? My budget doesn't allow me to have two.

Last edited:
Welcome to the addiction :grin:

For other mods I'd suggest a unknown BBQ lid hinge, and tie your charcoal ring to the charcoal grate, makes it easier to shake out the ash from unused coals. I would be all over the cherry and maple wood, cut them down to fist size chunks if it's convenient.

No need to season the WSM, throw in a Fatty for a short cook or just go with a Pork Butt for a long cook, my first cook on the WSM was a Butt.

I smoke meat and fish on my Egg and never have had a problem. Have never done it at the same time. I am sure others will chime in. Welcome. You will love your WSM

Welcome. Good to see more folks laying down some comic sans up in here :-D

When I cook fish it is normally in my egg and I haven't noticed any fish smell staying in my egg or imparting flavor into meats on subsequent cooks. But there are folks that have had issues. You'll just have to test and see. You could keep the fish directly off the grates by smoking in a pan or on a rack in a pan.

doing a few mods that I think will work for me. ie: Added brackets to use a 3rd rack between top and bottom racks. I installed a stove gasket for the cover and fabricated a pan to lodge in the base, to catch ashes and hopefully make cleanup easier.
The WSM is pretty good out of the box. You don't need to make many mods to it. Learn how to cook on it, then see if you need any mods.
My next step is to light a few dry runs for conditioning.
Don't waste the fuel. WSMs are porcelain coated and need no seasoning. If you're gonna light a fire might as well cook on it.
A couple questions I have (there will most certainly be more): There is also an abundance of Alder, Birch, Maple and Cherry around here. Can I use short blocks of wood right from the tree, say, 1X1 or chips for my smoke wood instead of the commercial pucks?
Never heard of anyone using commercial pucks in a WSM.
Lots of WSM owners will tell you they use 4 - 6 fist sized wood chunks in their charcoal ring to provide smoke for the full cook. Chips are a waste in the WSM, and you don't need to buy any wood or pucks.

Lots of WSM owners will tell you they use 4 - 6 fist sized wood chunks in their charcoal ring to provide smoke for the full cook. Chips are a waste in the WSM, and you don't need to buy any wood or pucks.

When I cut my chunks do I use them green or dry? Bark on or off?

one of the best things I ever did was coming on this site. Wonderful, Knowledgable, giving dudes and dudettes ( cowgirl/tish). You will come here as much for the friendships as the incredible knowledge....welcome!!

I like to use dry seasoned wood with most of the bark removed The wood I use is a year old usually and is perfect cor me.

When I cut my chunks do I use them green or dry? Bark on or off?
I would let them season a little. I have some hickory that's been cut for only a few months. I use it.
Bark on is fine.
Don't bother soaking your chunks before using them either.

Welcome to the best clubhouse on the web.

Welcome! This place has taught me so much. Can't even begin to tell you how far I have come since September. Don't be afraid to ask questions; the good people on this site are more than happy to help.

You're me from 4 or 5 years ago. The others have good advice. Seasoned fist sized chunks of wood. Bark on or off doesn't matter IMO.

I ditched the water bowl on my 18.5 WSM after cook #2. Was just too hard to get up to higher temps. Or moderate temps, in my case. If you look around you see guys getting a ceramic flower pot saucer and wrapping in foil. And put that in the bowl, no water. Saves cleanup. I also put a new layer of foil on top of that for each cook. Let the grease drippings fall on that, and toss it after the cook and after it's cooled.

Welcome to the site. Spend a lot of time here, read a lot, use the search bar near the bottom of the page, and just keep reading.

WSM's are great intro and beyond smokers. They are fine out of the box, and will control temps even better after they get a little dirty. They don't "need" a lot of mods, but you can tailor them to work easier for you if you like. You can see the link in my signature with the mods I did to the one I started with.

I know Harry Soo recommends a separate smoker for meat and fish, my wife and I never noticed a difference.

Back