International trade

OferL

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Back in August I asked if I could join the trade round. I was told by IamMadMan:
Unfortunately no, the international shipping fees and in some instances the brokerage fees are just too substantial to justify international trades.

So I asked if anyone want's to trade they should pm me.
A few days later brethren Jrogers84 kindly pm'ed me and said he would like to trade. After some messages we realized we had a very close taste for spices and sauces. Not spicy but rich in flavor was the profile.
I didn't realize at the time how hard it would be to choose what to send.
You should understand what are spice shops in Israel like. In my small city there are 15-20 of them. They're usually very small and when you come in a wall of spice smells hits you, sticks to your clothes and skin. The seller in some old man. He asks you WHAT DO YOU WANT?! and you need to know or don't waste his time... I don't like that kind. There are larger spice stores. Which sell nuts and other dry good in addition to spices in bulk.
The center in a grouping of large containers of popular thing like paprika or almond. And the walls are covered with dozens of jars with and overwhelming assortment of spices. No one urges you to buy and get out. You can smell and taste and the staff will help you. But deciding is hard.

I decided on three spices and one sauce. Classic spices were Zaatar, Kurkum and Ras-El-Hanut.
I added a local pesto sauce with mint.
I sent them via regular post. It was about 14$. Not so expensive IamMadMAn...
I also sent Jrogers84 some info and instructions. He got them about two weeks later and the same day I got his package.
I got a very good response from him on the Ras-El-Hanut. But I'll let him give his impressions.

Last edited:
Great trade! Hope you got something great in return. I love the spice markets in Israel...wish we had something similar in the US.

Great trade! Hope you got something great in return. I love the spice markets in Israel...wish we had something similar in the US.

I got some amazing sauces and rub form Jrogers84.
See above.

I've started a cook based on his package.
Chicken thighs and legs. Half coated in olive oil and rib rack dry rub.
The other half covered with sticky fingers sauce.
More pics to come.

This has been a fun experience. I sent him the 2 sauces based on the fact he said sauces are not easy to find local. I went with more common ones so he would be able to get them from Amazon if he liked them. Since I was aware of his spice availability I decided to send him an "american" style rub. It sure seems like he has the upper hand when it comes to spices! As for the spices I received I will post on my first cook with them

So I have been super busy lately but finally had time to cook a meal on my own. I dont know what pushed me in this direction but the wife bought some chicken thighs, so I needed to cook them. I did not have the energy to go outside and grill so I started to grab some of the stuff that we had picked from our garden that needed to be cooked. I started with an onion, green pepper and a head of garlic. Sauteed until soft and then tossed in the thighs that were dusted with the Ras-El-Hanout . Once they were ready to flip I put tomatoes in along with brown rice and a little more spice. Let it simmer for a few hours (rice took forever to get soft) and it came out delicious! It had a kick to it but it was a spice kick, not a heat kick. It hit in the back of your throat and disappeared almost instantly. Ive been eating it for lunch all week! Thanks again Ofer!

Attachments

• IMG_2424.jpg
    IMG_2424.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 248
Well Justin, my wife, both my kids and myself thank you for the great products you sent. We had two great meals with them and now I'm getting ready for some smoking.
I bought some chicken thighs and legs. Dry brined overnight.

Half with olive oil and rib rack rub

Half covered with sticky fingers sauce

some portabello mushrooms

TBS is flowing

See you on the other side!

Back in August I asked if I could join the trade round. I was told by IamMadMan: Quote: Unfortunately no, the international
shipping fees and in some instances the brokerage fees are just too substantial to justify international trades.

I sent them via regular post. It was about 14$. Not so expensive IamMadMan...

Congratulations on finding a Trade Partner.... That chicken looks Awesome.... Nothing better than a great trade....

$14.00 is quite reasonable OferL, the last padded envelope I sent to to Australia was $48.00 in postage fees here in the USA, which contained 3 packages of seasoning/brine.

Jrogers84, out of curosity, what were your actual shipping costs for your package? And what method did you use for shipping.?

It appears from my account on the USPS website the US Postage fee for a "Flat Rate Envelope" is $32.95, a package lists at $49.50. If it were $14.00 that would be great... It costs more than that to ship flat rate boxes within our own country. If there is a cheaper alternative for us that would be great to include you in a future trade, but I cannot subject someone to pay high fees listed on the USPS account unless they volunteer to do so. Sorry..

Lets see what Jrogers84 response is and see what other options he may have found for a lesser shipping rate.

Last edited:
Very cool guys!

Great cooks from both of you!

Really surprised how cheap it was to mail that package. The package I sent from Texas to California was 12" X 12" X 12", weighed 5 pounds, and cost just under $24. That's probably more than I spent for the two sauces and two rubs...

I mail MicroDampers (see signature) periodically overseas, and that costs $14. But what I send weighs a lot less - more like 6oz. $14 for mailing sauces is cheap!

There are some good looking eats there... thanks for sharing.

Let me clear this. I sent 3 spices + one sauce.
All together it was about 3 pounds including the packaging.
According to Israel post website it should have been ~$30.
However when I was at the post office they calculated it as $14. I don't know why. Didn't ask...
According to the website it's ~$20 for the first kg.
Then $10 for every added kg.

Back