THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hawg Father of Seoul

is Blowin Smoke!
Please stop calling the point of a brisket "deckle". If you say brisket deckle, this is correct. Many cuts of beef have a deckle. A nice ribeye deckle makes an excellent carpaccio. A coulotte is also a deckle. Yes, we all love a good deckle, but point is a much more specific term and they are not interchangeable out of context.

Thanks for your attention.

what a deckle! :becky:

Sorry but I have to laugh about this just a little bit. Until today I had never heard this term used in a BBQ context at all. Here in my area, we have one of the largest Jewish populations in the world and whenever I do a demo or in-store I will inevitably have an old jewish woman ask me about the "deckle". FIrst time I heard it it threw me for a loop, I had no idea what they were talking about. Now I'm not only used to it, I have come to expect it. I thought it was just a dated old scholl Jewish term that rarely gets used anymore. Seems I may have been mistaken.
Today however was the first time I had heard it used here on the Brethren in reference to BBQ brisket.

deckle n. a thick band of fat on (a cut of) meat; a very fatty cut of meat. Etymological Note: Mostly likely connected to German dicht ‘thick,’ dick ‘thick’ or ‘fat,’ or Dicke ‘fat person, a fatty.’ The prefix dick- is used to to indicate “fatty,” “big,” “fattening,”or “thick”

Please stop calling the point of a brisket "deckle". If you say brisket deckle, this is correct. Many cuts of beef have a deckle. A nice ribeye deckle makes an excellent carpaccio. A coulotte is also a deckle. Yes, we all love a good deckle, but point is a much more specific term and they are not interchangeable out of context.

Thanks for your attention.

Do you feel better now?

deckle n. a thick band of fat on (a cut of) meat; a very fatty cut of meat. Etymological Note: Mostly likely connected to German dicht ‘thick,’ dick ‘thick’ or ‘fat,’ or Dicke ‘fat person, a fatty.’ The prefix dick- is used to to indicate “fatty,” “big,” “fattening,”or “thick”
I'm going to the donut shop in Fredricksburg VA if you would like me to show you a deckle.:thumb:

Does anyone recommend trimming their deckle?

tumblr_l3juofKuTW1qc9pwoo1_500.png

Back