THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keller Steeler

Full Fledged Farker
Since I moved to Texas, I only do one KCBS contest a year. Decided to practice chicken thighs today for Mobile in a few weeks.

It was a beautiful North Texas afternoon - about 70 degrees and a full fridge...
2009_02220008.jpg

Note - The Miller Lite is for my neighbor - I am a Bud Lite man....

FYI - have not posted pics for a while (since Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl) - this was a playoff game....
2009_02220002.jpg

Decided to try my brine I had finished last year on the half chickens I cook for IBCA and LSBS for the thighs - the first group brined for 2 hours the second for 5 - seeing if the thighs staying in longer were more salty. Also testing low and slow versus high temp texas chicken cooking. So - half of the two hour brined chicken went into the egg and the other half into an Aussie. Likewise, half the 5 hours went into the egg and the other half into the Aussie.
2009_02220004.jpg

2009_02220005.jpg

2009_02220007.jpg

2009_02220009.jpg

So the results.....

Egg - skin pulled up (was not comparing that, but should have trimmed less)....
2009_02220011.jpg

Grill - glazed too late to crisp the chicken (knife holes - checking for tenderness)....
2009_02220019.jpg

Results - I thought the grilled (hot temp) thighs were more juicy, and the 5 hour brined chicken were more juicy than 2 hour chickens, not more salty- therefore I declared them the winners......

Then I let the neighbors tell me what they thought. So 30 minutes later, juicieness was the same and the flavor from the low and slow was perceived to be better - Uuuuggghhhhh - I got no where, except I am out of Guinness....
2009_02220021.jpg

(Half of the thighs were glazed with my sauce, the other half with Texas Pepper Jelly)

Last edited:
Have you tried raised direct in the BGE? I have a Woo ring if you want to borrow and give it a try. It raises the grate to felt level. And with a grate extender, you can get them high in the dome to crisp the skin with the reflected heat from the dome.

Back