THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

bbqpigskin

I have only been a member for about a month and a half and have seen quite a few posts and pictures of Armadllo Eggs. I would love to try and make these babies. Would anyone be willing to share a simple recipe or instructions on how to make them? I'd appreciate it. They look delicious!

Thanks,
Mike

Pick for favorite sausage fatty... ( we have a local sausage made in our price chopper that I love, but jimmy dean works!) THEN you find the prego Armadillo...

bbqpigskin said:
I have only been a member for about a month and a half and have seen quite a few posts and pictures of Armadllo Eggs. I would love to try and make these babies. Would anyone be willing to share a simple recipe or instructions on how to make them? I'd appreciate it. They look delicious!

Thanks,
Mike

This is mine (and it's very simple.)

Ingredients:

Fresh Jalapenos (as many as you need - 1 per "egg")
8 oz. Cream Cheese (this will be enough for at least 2 dozen "eggs")
Yellow food coloring
Your favorite uncooked sausage (I recently used bratwurst)
A bit of your favorite rub

Cut off the end of the jalapenos and seed and devien them. Set aside.

Place the cream cheese in a bowl and soften, then mix 1 cap full of the yellow food coloring and blend with the cream cheese until all of it has a consistent yellow color.

Pipe the now yellow cream cheese into the jalapenos until they are full.

Make some 1/4" to 1/2" thick sausage patties and wrap them around the jalapeno (pinch the edges and ends together to seal.) Now shape them into an "egg".

Throw 'em on the smoker for 1 1/2 hours at 210-220 and TA-DA! Armadillo eggs!

Slice them like a hard-boiled egg (about 1/2"-1" thick) so your guests can see the "shell" (the sausage), the "egg" (the jalapeno) and the "yolk" (the yellow cream cheese.)
I found the recipe in "Smoke and Spice."

Enjoy!

Ken (wow...my first recipe contribution to the Brethren...I almost feel like a Brethren myself!):roll:

Last edited:
jgh1204 said:
First, find a pregnant Armadillo.

But not a pregnant Giant Armadillo. Those will drink all your Lone Star Beer.

OK..I'm in California, so an Armadillo, much less a pregnant Armadillo will be pretty farkin hard to find! There are a couple of fat odd looking dogs with excema down the road that might work...I don't know!

Seriously, thanks for the recipies. I'll try em out.

Mike

Bigmista said:
I know about thwe Armadillo! i know about the Armadillo!

Apparently only the two of us know, Bigmista.

What's the world coming to?

<sigh>

Here's a pic of armadillo egg prep...

egg_roll.jpg

BBQchef - can we add this thread to the roadmap? I was looking for info on Armadillo Eggs m'self, and had to search to find this thread. Just a thought.

capnamerca said:
BBQchef - can we add this thread to the roadmap? I was looking for info on Armadillo Eggs m'self, and had to search to find this thread. Just a thought.

Done.

Good Idea!

TIM

capnamerca said:
Capn

A quick way to get something added to roadmap is:

Find the thread you want to add
Copy the URL of the first page of that thread
From the main forum page, look for a name of "Who's Online" that is listed in Green (Solidkick, TommyKendall, Parrothead, BRDbbq, etc)

Send one of them a Private Message with the URL pasted in it, with the request to add in Roadmap under "subject"

BBQChef will add it, but his moderators can also help out, sometimes a bit faster since Phil is a bit busy lately

Edit. See Kapn was already on it.

This note is just for general info for all

Made some armadillo eggs today a little differently. Jimmy Dean sausage has gotten kind of expensive lately so I used ground pork. Pressed it out flat and seasoned with Tony C's. Rolled it up around pepper jack stuffed japs. Good eats. Made a fatty similar. Pressed 2# of ground pork out, seasoned with a sweet rub and stuffed with bell peppers,pepperoncini,green olives,garlic and onion. The ground pork doesn't want to hold its shape very well so I rolled everything up in wax paper and refrigerated overnight. That worked real well. This was a fun experiment. Gonna do some more with different seasonings. Maybe adobo or Old Bay. It never gets boring if you like to try new things.

Attachments

• Fatty and egg.JPG
    Fatty and egg.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
Back