What's a rotisserie good for?

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dave
My gasser has provisions for mounting a rotisserie, and now I have AC power available on my deck. I'm sure I could adapt one of the universal units out there, but I'm not sure if I would use it.

Just wondering, those brethren who have one what do you cook on it besides a whole chicken?

I've done bone in pork roasts, beef rib roasts, chicken quarters in a basket (on of my favorite ways to use a rotisserie). I think the important part is that it gets indirect radiant relatively high heat on one side of the meat....I see people doing rotisseries in drum smokers and WSM's running low heat and can't image it's doing much for them.

I have a 6-burner Wolf 36" gas grill with rotisserie.

I can't recall when I last did a chicken on it. Its been so long ago but I recall it being a real PIA to get the spit centered and bird balanced. Instead, I do bear can chickens if using the gasser (outer 4 burners on, middle 2 off, bird in center).

I love the rotisserie though! I have done pork roasts, pork loins, beef roasts, hams, turkey breasts, and potatoes & wings (with a Napolean tumble basket).

I use the infra red burner in the back and use the outer 4 burners leaving the middle 2 off.

Pork loins - by themselves, bacon wrapped, butterflied and stuffed, bacon wrapped butterflied and stuffed, list goes on. Buy the large ones at Costco that are 30-36" long, cut in 3rds, and now you have 3 meat projects for later.

The tumble basket does excellent for veggies and wings. Its a kind of a PIA to clean though. I stuff the basket halves with frozen Costco wings, quickly snap the basket halves together, then onto the rotating spit and season as the basket spins. I think I can get near 40 wings in the basket for our family of 4.

I had to replace the original motor and spit on my Wolf. I bought this motor
https://www.onegrill.com/Heavy_Duty_Electric_Rotisserie_Spit_Rod_Motor_p/4pm08.htm

I modified a spit rod to work with it. The motor is stout and the company's warranty is excellent. My switch started getting sporadic after 6-9 months of hard use and they shipped me a new unit with return shipping for unit.

I saw go for it as it lets you try new things!

I have an old paperback, "The Art of BARBECUEE and OUTDOOR COOKING"
It has great old color photos that are inspiring. A large number of them feature rotisserie, or Spits.

I really want to try it. I have an old spear and motor for the gasser. I should try it there first, and then maybe make a doughnut spacer for one of the kettles.

I really like mine but I don't use it often enough. I have adapted by set up for both the Weber and my fire pit. IMHO, I probably wouldn't use one on a gasser - I like the flavor a live fire provides. Here's a pic of my Weber set up. I likely over-bought on the rotisserie set up but you never know when you'd like to try a whole turkey. There's something quite relaxing watching that thing spin - then the drippings hitting the coals and the beautiful color that happens.

webersetup.jpg

The fire pit uses the same brackets but flipped differently. This is my preferred set up but a little lower to the ground vs. the Weber.

firepitsetup.jpg

Back