What to do with fresh basil

locolobo

is one Smokin' Farker
I grow spices in pots. A lot grow almost year round. Wondering what to do with the excess. I have to trim my basil and sage on a regular basis. No need really for drying these as, like said, they are productive almost year round. Make tea? Haven't tried that yet. Any ideas?

As others have said: Pesto!

Caprese salad (fresh mozz, basil, tomato + EVOO and salt). If you can find really good tomatoes, this is a wonderful way to enjoy fresh basil.

Cream of tomato soup: it's been chilly here the past several days. Cool days = soup weather for me. And one of my favorites is tomato cream soup. Just made a large batch this past weekend.

Lime basil cream sauce: sauté diced shallots in butter +/- or whatever oil you enjoy, add heavy cream and boost the temp. Reduce cream by ~ half, then fold in fresh lime juice and zest + fresh basil (chiffonade). Add some chunks of cold butter to finish the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Works really well over chicken, fish, scallops, veg, whatever you want. Delish!

Make some compound butter with basil +/- garlic and toss in the freezer. Excellent for topping steaks, corn on the cobb, whatever.

Thai chili basil chicken (pad krapow gai)
https://thewoksoflife.com/thai-basil-chicken-pad-krapow/

Lemon basil chicken

Lots of options for basil!

Bruce

Dinner last night.

Veal meatballs and rigatoni with a fresh Basil/Pistachio Pesto and shredded Parmesan.

30913facd39026bff3ea5c04c118869f.jpg

As others have said: Pesto!

Caprese salad (fresh mozz, basil, tomato + EVOO and salt). If you can find really good tomatoes, this is a wonderful way to enjoy fresh basil.

Cream of tomato soup: it's been chilly here the past several days. Cool days = soup weather for me. And one of my favorites is tomato cream soup. Just made a large batch this past weekend.

Lime basil cream sauce: sauté diced shallots in butter +/- or whatever oil you enjoy, add heavy cream and boost the temp. Reduce cream by ~ half, then fold in fresh lime juice and zest + fresh basil (chiffonade). Add some chunks of cold butter to finish the sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Works really well over chicken, fish, scallops, veg, whatever you want. Delish!

Make some compound butter with basil +/- garlic and toss in the freezer. Excellent for topping steaks, corn on the cobb, whatever.

Thai chili basil chicken (pad krapow gai)
https://thewoksoflife.com/thai-basil-chicken-pad-krapow/

Lemon basil chicken

Lots of options for basil!

Bruce

These all sound wonderful! :clap2:

Sorry, forgot another obvious thing to do with basil: MAKE PIZZA!

Our family enjoys a generous topping of fresh basil on pizza as well as including some fresh basil in the tomato sauce.

Bruce

Sorry, forgot another obvious thing to do with basil: MAKE PIZZA!

Our family enjoys a generous topping of fresh basil on pizza as well as including some fresh basil in the tomato sauce.

Bruce

rJ9fVigb.jpg

Back