what to do with $200?

UDS!! They can hold alot of meat, but you can cook small amounts on it too without having to put a lot of fuel in it. There is a thread here about how to build it. Someone can post it or just look for it in search.

My first UDS cost me less than $20.00 and that was all in SS hardware, paint and BI nipples.

I got a new, unlined barrel free from work (I work for a chemical manufacturer, though, so not everyone may have that luxury).

I grabbed a beat-up old Weber kettle from a curb put-out which provided the fire grate, one cooking grate and a lid.

The rest of the firebasket was made from wire shelving I had left over from a closet remodel a few years ago.

The second cooking grate I actually had lying around (I have no idea why, but it was there so I used it).
UDSPieces.jpg

4thporksteaks002.jpg

Here's the parts list of the one I just finished. I wanted to go all stainless bolts and not risk zinc or galvanized. I fully accept this could have been done cheaper but I wanted something to be proud of.
Drum Smoker Parts list

Fire Basket Cost

¾ #9 expanded metal 8”W X 32”L $21
Charcoal grate from Weber 22-1/2” grill $12
Feet
3 3/8 X 4” Stainless bolts $10
6 3/8 stainless nuts and washers $3
Bail
3/16D steel rod 24”L $2

Drum
1 55gal drum open at one end ---
2 ¾” short black Pipe nipples $3
2 ¾” Black caps $3
1 ¾” Ball Valve $11
2 22-1/2” Weber grates $40
6 ¼” X 2 Stainless bolts $8
12 ¼” Stainless nuts and washers $4
3 6-1/2” metal handles $12
2+ cans of high temp spray paint $12
1 22-1/2” Weber kettle lid ---
6 feet 3/16D steel rod $6
1 drum thermometer $17
Total $164

#3 no question. I also have an 18.5 WSM and just cooking for my family I've never wished for a bigger one. PS - where do you see a used WSM on craiglist? I'm not seeing any around Dallas :)

Ok, for the record I want a 22.5" WSM but only because I am OCD and want to lay out the full spares without rolling them haha. I can easily cook for 15+ people on the 18.5" though so space is not THAT big of an issue if you get creative :becky:

Now for craislist:

You need a smartphone and a craigslist app that informs you in real time when someone makes a new post with SMOKER or WEBER or BBQ etc

I think I use the app called craigsnotification or something. I also use it whenever there is something else I am scrounging for :thumb:

Honestly though I have only seen 3 posts in the last two years with a WSM for sale and I bought one of them. The prices on the other two were insane (read: MORE than I paid for my new one)

Back