THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bearnakedbbq

Knows what a fatty is.
I am attending several cooking class over the next several weeks. I am looking for ideas on what I should do between classes.

I am sure I will get my share of BBQ from what is cooked in these classes, but I am sure there are a few places I must eat at. Where are they? Any other must do’s?

I will be at the Lang Smoker Factory Test Kitchen, Nahunta, GA on the 6th and 7th. Then I go to Jack's Old South Cooking School in Unadilla, Georgia the 13th and 14th, then back to Alaska.

Thanks!!!!!

troy

I'm heading down to Jack's Old South school in november as well. I thought it was a long trip for me but you blew me out of the water:p. Hope to see you at school.

Are you flying into Atlanta, by chance? There's a place near the airport, I think it's called Fox Bros, that has really good 'que. The wifey and I ordered enough food for 4, ate what we wanted, and then drove to a grocery store for ziplocs. We bagged up our leftovers and took them home with us.

Both of those cities are in south Georgia. Unless you are going to stay in Atlanta for a couple of days, it's a long drive. If you are staying in Atlanta, I can give you a couple of places north of the city. Barbecue 1 in East Cobb County (VERY small) and Williamson Bros. in Marietta have great barbecue and Swallow at the Hollow in Roswell has barbecue Nashville singers/songwriters for entertainment on Friday and Saturday. I just tried Bub-ba-cue in Woodstock and was very impressed.

I live on Saint Simons Island which is about 40 or so miles from Nahunta. We have a couple of good BBQ places here on the island both of which were featured on Food Network. Southern Soul was on Diners Drive-ins and Dives and Beachcomber was picked by Alton Brown as his favorite BBQ place. If you are in the mind for seafood (it is the coast after all) check out the shrimp (wild caught GA Shrimp) and grouper at Iguanas.

I ate at OB's during Eggtoberfest and thought it was pretty good. Brunswick stew had chopped meat in it which I thought was not so good. I Like the pulled chicken and pork in mine.

The National BBQ News will be having their National BBQ festival including Best of the Best ,Open and backyard divisons on the 5th and 6th it is going to be in Waycross ga this year which is only say 30 mins or so from Nahunta if you are in the area you should stop by Friday night and grab a couple beers and im sure we will have something cooking.

Have fun!

I was at JOS school just a few weeks ago. The man makes whole hog look as easy to do as a butt. Bring a camera! He doesn't allow video or audio recording, but you can snap pictures to your heart's content. Pads an pens are provided for note-taking.

As far as touristy stuff, you'll be right by the Okeefanokee swamp when you are having your class at Lang. You might be able to stay in Waycross for a night or two and rent a boat to explore the swamp on one of your free days. I think you can rent a boat at Laura Walker State Park.

When I went to JOS, I visited the Striplings country store near Cordele (www.striplings.com). Since you are flying home after JOS, that might not be something you are interested in, since you will probably not want to carry all those jams, jellies, syrup, and sausage with you. They do ship, however.

When I am driving someplace new, I always check out roadsideamerica.com. You might find something that interests you there. You can select "Georgia", then "Show Georgia map", and find things that may interest you in your path.

Have fun,
Don

I've been to a few BBQ joints around ATL and have eaten some catered food by others. I can't speak for Fox Bros., but for political reasons, I have no reason to go there...

If I am going to pay for cooked BBQ or take someone out for it, I'm going to one of two places (or we can do both). I can walk to BBQ-1 in East Cobb (ate there today) or I'm going to Community Q in Decatur. Both are worth going to if you are hankering for BBQ in the area.

Otherwise, I'll just cook my own. No sense in getting mad about it. :-D

I live in Waycross, and I am competing in the Open at the National BBQ Festival on the 6th of November.

As mentioned, you will be about 35-40 miles from Waycross in Nahunta, and Waycross has a lot more choices as far as hotels and eating out go. takes about a 30-40 minute drive to nahunta from here, and a straight shot.

If you have any questions, just ask. There are also 2 new hotels in Waycross. Best Western and a Holiday Inn Express.

I've been to a few BBQ joints around ATL and have eaten some catered food by others. I can't speak for Fox Bros., but for political reasons, I have no reason to go there...

Not sure what this means- Fox Bros turns out some of the best Q in town. It isn't super close (prob. 15-20 min from the airport if traffic isn't bad). And if you're willing to go there, Community Q isn't much further. If you're desperate, BBQ Kitchen in College Park is decent for a Southern meat and 3 veggies; it's mostly inexpensive and right by the airport. I've heard lots of folks tout OB's over the years but I wasn't impressed when I went.

I'd definitely make a visit to the Okeefenokee state park. And maybe a loop through Savannah b/c it's such a cool city and you could dip a toe in the Atlantic to say you did.

Back