Austin and Lockhart weekend

markdtn

is one Smokin' Farker
We went on a “BBQ Pilgrimage” to Austin, TX. We like to use our Delta companion fare for a weekend trip each year. We arrived on a red-eye about 1:30 AM on a Friday. Austin is the only airport I remember where you walk further to taxis and ground transport than to rental cars. Unfortunately the rental cars are not open that late so we needed a taxi. Word to those travelling to Austin, stay away from the lime green cabs. They are not as regulated somehow as the yellow ones. It cost us $32 to go 2.5 miles from the airport to our nearby hotel. Uber would have been about $10. We slept until 8:30 and caught a 9:00 shuttle back to the airport to get a rental car. We went to Lockhart (avoiding tolls) and arrived about 10:00.
We started at Blacks. I was wearing a Blacks t-shirt so they gave us a 5% discount and then the pitmaster came to the table and gave me a hat. We forgot to take a photo when we sat down, sorry. We had a giant beef rib, dry brisket, sausage, and turkey (and beans). Everything was good.

We took a drive through Lockhart and into the country ending up in Seguin at the Max Starcke Park/golf course. Went on a long walk by the river and saw turtles sunning. The park has a public smoker and a pavilion which was not bad-I would cook on it and eat off of it.
We went back to Lockhart. Almost stopped at City Market in Luling, but did not. We have been there before and the food was great. Maybe next time. We went to Smittys. Wasn’t going to, but we decided we should do the 3 majors in Lockhart. It is the most old-school of the 3. Cash only, no forks, no sauce. The pit room is something to see. We wanted prime rib and brisket but they were out of prime rib. We got slices of dry brisket. Nothing wrong with that.

We walked around Lockhart settling our food a little. Went to HEB. Drooled over 18lb Prime briskets for $77. Can’t usually get them that big at home. Wanted to take one home but logistically it’s just too much for air travel. Ended up the day at Kreuz Market for dinner. We got wet brisket, prime rib, and a pork chop (and beans). Of the Lockhart 3 I think this was the best, but honestly it was all excellent. We also got a banana pudding here which was the best we have ever eaten. We took most of the pork chop, some brisket, and another banana pudding back to the hotel for later and ended up eating it for breakfast over the next 3 days.

Saturday we got up at 6:00 to go to Aaron Franklin’s. We arrived at 6:58 and were about 30th in line. I would not want to be much later-by 8:30 the line was wrapped around the parking lot. Parked right there (tip-back in to the space so you don’t have to back into a crowd when you leave) The people ahead of us were a family of 4 from Utah. He had a pellet smoker and came to Franklin after watching his brisket videos. They had never heard of Lockhart, but after we told them about it were going to go there on the way to San Antonio. The kids were relieved that they did not have to get in line at 6:00 AM again. The 2 guys behind us were childhood friends. One from Chicago visiting his friend in Houston. They left Houston at 3:00 to be there. Neither of them really did any BBQ at home.
It was about 40 degrees when we got there. That may have kept some away on Saturday. We had no chairs of our own since we flew in. Our place in line was by the stairs to the porch (if you ever go to Franklin and end up here, be sure to leave space for traffic to the store and restroom later). About 8:30 they put out chairs to use so that was nice. They do have porta-potties out back that you can use until they allow the line people in to buy stuff and use the indoor rest rooms about 9:00. At about 10:00 a lady came out and started getting an idea of what would be ordered that day. She also handed out the “golden tickets” for beef ribs which is apparently a Saturday-only special. She told us that Aaron himself would come out and address the crowd before opening, but we never saw him. I suppose he got called away suddenly to something else. I have his book that I was going to get signed, but I left it at home so it was just as well. At 11:00 the doors opened. We got to the counter about 11:30.
We got a beef rib, pork ribs, 2 kinds of sausage, turkey, and brisket (and potato salad). They really spent time at the counter making sure you got exactly what you wanted. It was all excellent. I don’t know if it was worth the wait or if I would ever do it again, but Franklin BBQ is definitely an experience. It did not disappoint. When we left about 12:00 there was still a line wrapped around the parking lot. We had plenty of leftovers for Saturday night. We went to a guitar concert and when we came out there was a flash-mob street racing event happening (We found out later that it was one of several across Austin that night. Some were arrested and there were a few injuries.)

Sunday we went to the original Chuey’s for lunch. A little break from BBQ. That night we met some friends of our son in Round Rock at Salt Lick BBQ. Let’s just say it was not of the caliber of the rest of the BBQ on the trip.

Monday we came home. Pro tip-sealed commercial rub from Franklin set off something in the scanner at the airport. My wife got a screening more detailed than any I have ever seen. It was at least 10 minutes, maybe 15. There is an Austin Shop inside security where you can buy rubs from Franklin for about $2 more than at the restaurant. Well worth it if you are going to buy any to save the security hassle in a carry on bag. Great trip. We had a good time.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_5611.JPG
    tn_IMG_5611.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_5629s.jpg
    IMG_5629s.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG-20140416-00122.jpg
    IMG-20140416-00122.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 57
  • tn_IMG_4552.JPG
    tn_IMG_4552.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 56
  • tn_IMG_5625.JPG
    tn_IMG_5625.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 56
  • tn_IMG_5632.JPG
    tn_IMG_5632.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_5621s.jpg
    IMG_5621s.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Looks wonderful, great pictures and glad you had a great time. Incidentally, I was bringing some Lawry's to a friend in Finland and also had to get that tested through TSA.

What a fun trip! I love the nostalgia of Lockhart. The buildings alone are a blast to visit.

Too bad you didn't get to stop in at The Burnt Bean while in Seguin. It's by far the #1 BBQ Joint in Texas in my opinion.

Last edited:
What a fun trip! I love the nostalgia of Lockhart. This buildings are just a blast to visit.

Too bad you didn't get to stop in at The Burnt Bean while in Seguin. It's by far the #1 BBQ Joint in Texas in my opinion.

Interesting! I'll put that on the list for next time. We may go back to San Antonio some time and we'll try them.

Back