What should I take to BBQ school?

Booking It

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm heading to Myron Mixon's BBQ school at the end of January. What are some handy things that I should take? From the looks of it, I'm guessing a seat cushion, notebook, & pens. Is there anything else that people take that are either a good idea or something you wished you would have had with you?

I'm flying down, but I'll have two checked bags plus a carry on if needed. I have the next week off from work, but once we go back on January 3rd, I won't have the time to run around and buy lots of things (I'm a teacher, and January is a busy and exhausting month at school!).

Thank you in advance for any tips that you can provide! I've had this booked since last May, and I'm VERY excited to go!

I agree ^^^, but a lot of instructors don't allow filming or photos, so don't worry about anything but taking good notes. I'm not sure how much warmth there will be, so take comfortable layers that you can remove if it gets too warm for you.
We have had a few brethren that took the class, maybe one of them will see this and give you a more accurate answer.
Enjoy and report back when you test your newly learned skills.

Sounds like the guys have it pretty much covered. At least being from Chicago you can tolerate the cold a little better just in case. So happy for you going to Myron's. That is on my bucket list as well as Franklins and Billy Durney's Hometown BBQ

I went about 4 years ago and here is what you need

Notebook and pens

Yeti style cup or mug for drinks ( we had a keg plus soda fountain there. Maybe few snacks if you eat a lot.

You are outside under a covered car port whole time so plenty of warm clothes for that time of year

I took plenty of photos and video and wasnt issue. May want to ask as things may have changed.

When you get there first day will be meet and greet with Myron and his son. When I was there Tuffy happened to stop by and stay for weekend. You will start with whole hog prep and cook. You are welcome to stay up all night and cook the hog with his team which I did. Took a few naps in the truck

When you cook regular meats everything will be done to competition timelines which helped me as I was competing at the time

Do not stay at the historic hotel. Was very tiny.

Myron is very nice guy. Not the A*hole you see on TV. He talked with me a lot about competing and how I could take to next level. I got his email and we communicated a few times once I left to discuss competition cooks.

Before leaving you are able to purchase a lot of items he uses. I loaded up on rib racks and few bottle of rub/sauce

All in all it was worth the money IMO. I won numerous awards after taking his class

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been to the Gateway Drum class and an iPad/laptop is almost a must if you can type fast. I took a comp class because I wanted to figure out the timeline of things. In KCBS, things move fast with turn-in times. So, that's where I kept failing. Anyway, taking notes on the timeline via my iPad (with keyboard) took me from the bottom 1/4 in a 50 team comp to getting calls in every cook since. I don't do a lot, but when I do.... :) Also, reserve time in the evening to go over your notes in the hotel by yourself (or with a buddy that was also in the class). Do it while it's all fresh in your mind. Bottom line.... Document everything that you don't already know as "second nature."

Classes aren't cheap, but staying ahead of your neighbor, or next bbq comp is a must and these sorts of investments give you the edge.

Good luck!

is it wrong to ask how much the class instruction costs?
sounds very interesting
good luck

I just looked it up on Google the class is $895 per person.
Here is the link https://myronmixon.com/product/cooking-school/

All youz are recommending the wrong things to take ...... need to take another Brethren !!! :-D

The link above says you do get a discount if you book multiple seats.

Wonder if he could give a brethren group discount if we bought every seat in his class.

Last edited:
Wonder if he could give a brethren group discount if we bought every seat in his class.[/QUOTE]

Now that's an interesting thought !!! How many seats are there ?

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm a librarian, so note-taking is my "thing". Haha! That's a good idea about using a laptop or iPad. I'll have to consider taking my devices with me. I'm glad to hear that you can buy the sauces/rubs. Shipping from his site is very expensive, so it's good to know I can load up. My hotel is in Warner Robins. I don't mind that it's about 25 minutes away, because I wanted a hotel that had a hot tub. If the temps are cool all day, I'll need it at night! We've had so many restrictions on everything in Illinois that I can't wait to get out of this state for a few days. I may start packing now...

Back