UDS smoking

fatguyjohn

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Name or Nickame
John
Hi everyone, new to the forum, still newish to smoking(Around a year). I’ve been smoking on my kettle with good results, and I recently built a UDS from a 55 gallon drum. I cooked up some thighs today same as I would on the kettle but the came out quite dry. Is there anything I should be doing differently on a drum smoker? I cooked them at about 275.

John

I cook mine on my Egg and cook @ 350-400. Done in 20 min or less. Ususally overshoot my temp of 180* for the thighs. I wet brine them for about 3 hours and then let them sit out of the brine for several hours to stabilize. Always turn out really good. I use a brine that I got from thirdeye. He is a member here. Check out the recipes on his blog. Thats where I got it

I recently built a UDS from a 55 gallon drum. I cooked up some thighs today same as I would on the kettle but the came out quite dry. Is there anything I should be doing differently on a drum smoker? I cooked them at about 275.

John

How long is the stem on your thermometer, or do you have a cable thermometer? You can have as much as a 50° difference from the edge of the drum verses the center of the grate. Also, what kind of intake and exhaust do you have? You might have an imbalance in the convection.

dkZPwCH.jpg

AJijFHY.jpg

Back