THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hernlem

Name or Nickame
Hernlem
Smoked an Atlantic Salmon filet this morning. The pieces were dry brined overnight with 4:1 brown sugar to kosher salt and then rinsed and patted dry. Pieces were set on to a lightly oiled cookie rack and air dried in front of a fan for a couple hours for pellicle formation. Smoking was done on the top rack of my UDS with a pizza pan on the lower rack for heat deflection. Apple wood for smoke. I used my smaller charcoal basket for this job and used only one intake and then only opened a crack to try to get very low heat. Even so it was up to 200F by 1.5 hours and 225F by 2.5 hours when I stopped. Lowest temp measured in thickest pieces was 157F.

Attachments

I'm sort of the opposite, 5 or 6 hours of dry cure then overnight in the fridge for pellicle . My fish smoker's high end is about 160°, and I finish about 140° for me, some fishing buddies like 150°. Experimenting with varables allows you to produce a stellar product.

What was the saltiness like?

Last edited:
That's understandable.Experiment with your cure time. I rinse the tail section earlier than the body pieces just because of thickness.

People that make smoked salmon spread often prefer a saltier product since the cheese cuts it.

Mmm...now I want to make cured smoked salmon. The side box on my Mak can hold a fairly low smoke temp, may have to give it a whirl.

Back