Tried The Brisket Tallow Smoke This Weekend

Reading The Chili Cookbook by Robb Walsh.
Using beef tallow for Chile Gravy as a base for chili
Now picture that tallow smoked
Wheels are spinning

I'll add that my brisket was Choice but still marbled pretty well. I inadvertently picked up the Choice instead of the Prime at Costco.
Regardless, in the end, plenty of juice....

This is just perfect!! All this greasy cow fat business because some guy said that Franklin kid smears his brisket with cow grease...
Ed

Wouldn’t moisture/flavor from injecting be more beneficial than just increasing surface flavor/moisture? Seems like it to me.

Last edited:
Wouldn’t moisture/flavor from injecting be more beneficial than just increasing surface flavor/moisture? Seems like it to me.

My thoughts too.....Every time I read about a baste, spritz or sauce applied to the outside, and somehow makes the inside the "juiciest ever".

I won't be jumping on the tallow bandwagon anytime soon. What a mess to deal with!

The great thing about cooking in general is there are multiple ways to do the same dish. Experiment, try new things, have fun with it! Some experiments work, some don’t. That’s the cool thing with forums like this also... you get to see others perspectives and experiences, then decide for yourself if you want to try it. There never has to be one way.

Using tallow while cooking makes zero sense to me. The fat cap IS tallow. Adding additional tallow while cooking is only going to ruin the bark.

Adding tallow to the hold makes sense. You are no longer going to be rendering it from the meat. However, at holding temps, added tallow will melt and coat/absorb into the meat.

I just watched a video of a guy who injected tallow in the brisket prior to smoke and then put the brisket in an open foil boat for the whole cook. Looked great. I may give it a try this weekend

Back