THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Andrew
Hey guys, I've become a little bored with my current setup and I'm thinking about making some changes. One change I'm considering is buying a ceramic grill.

Before anyone suggests a Char-Griller Akorn, I have owned one in the past and wasn't happy with it for primarily three reasons. 1. It was hard to maintain a lower than about 300* temperature. 2. It took about 10 sec with the lid up to sky rocket the temp and then it was hell to get it back down. 3. When trying to get a good wood smoked flavor it was too efficient to get the wood chunks going enough to really taste that flavor I can get from a Kettle or my PBC.

What Ive read about the ceramics makes me believe I wouldn't have the same problems with temperature like I did with the Akorn. But what about smoking on it? It wouldn't be my primary smoker but if I wanted to do a small smoke cook, would I get a good wood smoked flavor or will the flavor I get be more along the lines of what I experienced with the Akorn?

I did like the Akorns ability to grill and hit really high temps for searing and cooking pizzas and again I know the ceramics will do the same.

Also what's your thoughts on a brand, primarily the Vision? I don't want to spend a ton of money and if I bought new the Vision is probably the only one I'd seriously consider. From what Ive read the cooking grate on the Vision is 20" compared to most of the "large" cookers like the Green Egg with a 18" grate. Is Vision a good product or would I be better off spending around the same money for a used Egg, Primo, Kamado Joe, Etc.?

Any advice and/or opinions are appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Check out an Eggfest near you and look at the price of demo eggs. This year's FL one got canceled and they still honored the demo egg purchase at $699.

I got a Vision B on clearance from Sam's a few years ago. A full packer is a tight fit, but it can be done. These days I mostly use it for two things. I have a Vortex and the Vision produces better wings than my kettle in my opinion. Can't do a ton of wings at once, but it meets my needs. The other main use is to cook butts overnight. I have a temp controller so I can set everything up and when I wake up the next day my lunch is almost ready.

I had a primo for 8 years and I have an akorn jr in the camper. If you thought it was thought to being down temps in the akorn when you overshot, it will be worse with a ceramic. Also, the good ceramics are very tight with air flow and gaps etc...you will easily be able to hold whatever temp you want, but the low airflow will result in a smoke flavor that you might not want (based on your comments). Versatile cookers for sure, but several draw backs. If I were to get a kamado style cooker again, I’d likely get a weber summit charcoal...lighter, air insulation vs ceramic, easier to move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i just got a Big Steel Keg 2 weeks ago for cheap. i'm coming from the PBC. i've grilled on it 3 times and did my first smoke with it last weekend with some babybacks. they actually turned out really good. coming from the PBC, i'm used to cooking at higher temps. i cooked my ribs at 275 in 3.5hrs and it went smooth and good smokey flavor.

lxv2Hcxh.jpg

my BSK came with iq120 temp controller. i got the whole package for $200. i'm quite happy thus far.
va4de7Qh.jpg

ribs had rub, no wrap, no sauce. still moist, great texture. smoke ring present.
htxHjsBl.jpg

i just got a Big Steel Keg 2 weeks ago for cheap. i'm coming from the PBC. i've grilled on it 3 times and did my first smoke with it last weekend with some babybacks. they actually turned out really good. coming from the PBC, i'm used to cooking at higher temps. i cooked my ribs at 275 in 3.5hrs and it went smooth and good smokey flavor.
my BSK came with iq120 temp controller. i got the whole package for $200. i'm quite happy thus far.

That’s an awesome deal!!

I've owned BGEs for the past 15 years. About every 2-4 years I will replace my old one with a new one. I keep an eye on craigslist for someone selling at low price, like $700 brand new. Then I sell my old one for the same price or more. You have to check craigslist every morning and immediately contact the person and agree to pay full price to grab it.

If I was going to buy a new one though I'd get the Kamado Joe. The features on their cookers just exceed the BGE product. The gasket, the lid mechanism, the top vent, locking lid, more standard cooking racks etc all make for a better cooker.

Opinions will vary. Those are just mine.

Last edited:
I owned a Vision Series C and really liked it. I ended up selling it and buying a Kamado Joe. The KJ holds my temperature a little better, but overall the Vision was solid cooker and I would recommend it.

Hey brother, good to see you. There is a Primo Ceramic Grill Facebook page that occasionally has used Primo Oval XL for sale. Most ceramic grills that I’m aware of are warranty to original owner only. I’ve had my Primo 8 years and filed my first warranty claim recently. The interior firebox cracked. It’s unusual to hear of a ceramic internal firebox that doesn’t. Thing is my new firebox came with an expansion area molded in that is actually bigger than the crack I filed under warranty. It did go all the way though. Primo is made in USA and is fairly expensive new. That being said Primo is allegedly releasing a new updated Oval XL and some dealers are rumored have sales going.
Big Green Egg is a quality machine (former owner). My son has a Vision. Solid machine but for the life of me I can’t keep it under 300*.

Warranty and Customer Service. Heavy lids on hinges, bands holding things together, ceramics someday you’ll need customer service. Primo is pretty short on everything except ceramics its 20 years. With Primo you pay shipping. New ceramic firebox from Primo runs around $400. I only paid $50 shipping.

Join the Primo-BGE-KJ groups and watch what they have to say.

Last edited:
Weber Summit Charcoal is what you're looking for. Less efficient than the Akorn because it's double wall but not insulated, but also no thermal mass so if you overshoot the temp it doesn't take forever to come back down. More efficient than a WSM or UDS but not like the Akorn. If only the price were more reasonable it would be the perfect balance.

I’m going to recommend the Primo XL as well...I’ve owned several different ceramic grills as well as an Akorn and they all generally cook and perform the same. However the shape and size of the Primo XL makes it a little more flexible IMO. Regardless of which brand or model you choose, I’ve found that using chips dispersed throughout the charcoal instead of chunks, combined with cooking at higher temps like 265-275*, avoids getting that “sooty, low airflow flavor” that kamados can be known for when cooking “low and slow”.

I owned a Vision grill and it was fine, no complaints. Cooked like all the others did.

Last edited:
I like my older Vision B. A little tricky dialing the temp but overall it’s a solid cooker. I just bought the Signals and Bellows from Thermoworks and hope to try that on a longer cook soon...

I love my Primo Oval XL.

Like 16Adams, I've had mine for 8 years and I've not needed the warranty yet.

If you have the money and space for only 1 cooker, then the Primo is an excellent choice. Kamados are not the best at cooking all different types of food but they do a good to great job at everything. If you have money and space for multiple cookers, then you could get the best kind for each type of cooking. I don't have the money nor the space for any more cookers, so I've kept my Primo.

I like it for its versatility.

It is a great grill to cook burgers, hot dog, chicken and steaks on it. I've even done Paella.

It can be turned into an oven where I've cooked pies, bread, turkey and roast prime rib.

I've smoked fatties, ribs and pork butts.

I've also cooked dozens of pizza on it.

I also like the temperature control and the low cost of fuel.

I've started a pork butt cook in the morning and then went to the beach for the day and never worried it would climb beyond where I set it. I've started a pork butt cook in the evening and slept like a baby know the temperature was rock steady. (Both without a controller) I’ve had one cook go 13 ½ hours and there was enough fuel in it to go another 3 to 4 hours easy.

Having said this, there is a learning curve that you need to master before you can go to the beach while it cooks. But once you learn how to control the temp it’s very doable. The secret is never let it get out of control because as others have said, once it gets hot, it’s very difficult to get it cooled down in a hurry.

There have been other posts asking about kamados that I’ve replied to. In some of them I included pictures of some of my cooks. Here’s a link to one such thread where you can see the many kinds of cooks I’ve done on my Primo. (see page 2) Link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232371&highlight=kamado&page=2

Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

I love my Primo Oval XL.

[/FONT] There have been other posts asking about kamados that I’ve replied to. In some of them I included pictures of some of my cooks. Here’s a link to one such thread where you can see the many kinds of cooks I’ve done on my Primo. (see page 2) Link: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=232371&highlight=kamado&page=2

Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

All I can say about the post you made in that link is Damn! You can cook on that Primo brother! But I already knew you could Throw Down on a cooker!

Thanks for the info as well!

I have friends and relatives that are 100% dedicated to Big Green Egg. I understand their loyalty. 3 recently bought Traeger Pellet cookers. What’s interesting they’ve all seen my Oval, said something to the effect “sure wish BGE made an Oval.”
They love the Oval design,but they’re not going to leave the Green.
That being said, if you decide to go used- I see a lot more BGE’s on FB Market Place, Craigslist etc than Primo.

Good to see back around these parts Andrew. :becky:

Having had a ceramic kamado, if I were to go back to "kamado" style like you mentioned, I'd do the Weber Summit Charcoal, Goldens' cast iron kamado or Broil King Keg Kamado.

Really dig Goldens and lunchman (Dom) on here has a ton of posts using his.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Back