The Science Behind Why Frequently Flipping Your Steaks Makes Them Better AND Tastier! You’ll Never Cook Steaks the Way You Used to After You Try This!

Wait a minute.

I'd like to bring in the concept of a FIRST and SECOND rest.

Yes.

Now this frequent flipping thing is pretty solid in my books but what you've neglected is the practice of taking the steak OFF the heat for a few minutes more or less half way through the process and then returning for a few more flips to finish, then resting again.

What does this do? Allows for the less heated interior to relax a little bit halfway, therefore preserving juiciness. Then a quick crisp up on the outside for a lovely medium rare steak after the second rest.

You may call this bullsh!t :p

But some of you will have to put this to the test. :heh:

Wait a minute.

I'd like to bring in the concept of a FIRST and SECOND rest.

Yes.

Now this frequent flipping thing is pretty solid in my books but what you've neglected is the practice of taking the steak OFF the heat for a few minutes more or less half way through the process and then returning for a few more flips to finish, then resting again.

What does this do? Allows for the less heated interior to relax a little bit halfway, therefore preserving juiciness. Then a quick crisp up on the outside for a lovely medium rare steak after the second rest.

You may call this bullsh!t :p

But some of you will have to put this to the test. :heh:

Point well taken Sir. These days here with the current state of affairs, steaks are thinner than they used to be. I'm all in for reverse searing on a 2+ inch steak. Just might have to take out a loan to buy one. :thumb:

Well Richard, since heat indexes are 114*F and my patio faces the west, this seems like the perfect time to try flaking. Sage advice my Friend.

I wonder how it will work with a gasser. My gasser will hit around 745*F and right now my first 100 are free. Only problem is that it's indirect heat. Got a brand new SnS that's never been tried on my OTG. Maybe time to get it dirty.

Of course this will mean less time to drink cold beer and listen to my bluetooth speakers but sacrifices have to be made in this heat.

Thanks!

This is why you have two hands!!!!!!!!!!:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Gore, you bring up a valid point indeed, but there is nothing evident in my post that inferred I did not click my tongs twice between each flip, either.

Nonetheless, I believe a duplicate cook thread by a more seasoned science team such as yourself and the Master would make an excellent followup to my initial post here. Perhaps you could demonstrate the tong clicking between each flip, by photo or video, much as I demonstrated the cooking of my steaks. I believe there are many approaches and angles I overlooked that your team would bring to the project.

I would be happy to give this a try, unfortunately, I actually haven't lit up the Oval since I bought the MAK two years ago and I do not believe the MAK gets up to sufficient temps for this technique to work. Yes, the MAK does get to 450*, which is fine for cooking steak in a traditional manner, but I think you need something a bit hotter and I don't think I can keep it at 450* if I cook uncovered as I do lose heat each time I open the lid up. I do want you to know I'm not talking out of my ass either as I've essentially been cooking chicken thighs this way for some time, doing several flips (on the MAK). The thighs come out absolutely beautiful, but (and there's always a but) I do not get a charred crust anywhere on the outside of the thighs cooking it this way. My family members are big fans of "crunchy bits" and I was asked to go back to the old technique of just flipping them once, so that more crunchy bits appear. If I get out of my lazy funk and crank up the Oval to 600* or so, I believe I could go back to this technique of multiple flipping, while of course clicking the tongs twice between flips, and be able to produce the crunchy bits my family so desires.

I would be happy to give this a try, unfortunately, I actually haven't lit up the Oval since I bought the MAK two years ago and I do not believe the MAK gets up to sufficient temps for this technique to work. Yes, the MAK does get to 450*, which is fine for cooking steak in a traditional manner, but I think you need something a bit hotter and I don't think I can keep it at 450* if I cook uncovered as I do lose heat each time I open the lid up. I do want you to know I'm not talking out of my ass either as I've essentially been cooking chicken thighs this way for some time, doing several flips (on the MAK). The thighs come out absolutely beautiful, but (and there's always a but) I do not get a charred crust anywhere on the outside of the thighs cooking it this way. My family members are big fans of "crunchy bits" and I was asked to go back to the old technique of just flipping them once, so that more crunchy bits appear. If I get out of my lazy funk and crank up the Oval to 600* or so, I believe I could go back to this technique of multiple flipping, while of course clicking the tongs twice between flips, and be able to produce the crunchy bits my family so desires.

Well, in the interest of better science and serving up more crunchy bits to your family, fire that Oval up!

I haven't fired up my kamado with the vortex in it for a while. Have some strip steaks that need to be cooked and some Carne Crosta that is just sitting there. Looks like I have a plan for tomorrow.

I never been much a flipper before but I tried this technique tonight. I my first thought was, yes this is a fine steak, then Stephanie chimmed in. Her first words were "wow you can really taste the grill on this, it is really good" A few moments later out came "I really like all the crispy bits, you should do it like this all the time" I may need to change my ways.

I never been much a flipper before but I tried this technique tonight. I my first thought was, yes this is a fine steak, then Stephanie chimmed in. Her first words were "wow you can really taste the grill on this, it is really good" A few moments later out came "I really like all the crispy bits, you should do it like this all the time" I may need to change my ways.

Tom, I'm glad you and Stephanie enjoyed it! In an earlier post in this thread, I described the end result of this technique as a "smoky, crusty, juicy steak". That about sums it up for me, and I think Stephanie also described it well.

I cooked four 3/4 inch ribeyes again tonight, and our two guests declared them the best steaks they'd ever eaten.

My current thought process for a considerably thicker steak, would start indirect to get some smoke in the meat, then move the steaks to the hot side when the temp is 40-50% of finished target temp for frequent flipping to get that delicious, smoky crust.

Quite the thread here, a real bard burner.
This has me in the mood to head to the butcher shop for a couple of thinner rib eyes and give this steak flipping thing a go.

My turn is tomorrow

0WEFhV5.jpg

:mrgreen:

I’m going full anti-flipper today!

Local beef, thick ribeyes (none of that 3/4” nonsense), going on an open fire.

There will be a single move. Not so much a flip, as a roll.

Steak perfection is only a few hours away.

I've been grilling, not smoking, for 45 years. It is my opinion, that constantly flipping is absolutely not a good thing to do when cooking meat. A flip here and there is fine, but this idea that constantly flipping meat over and over and over and over again is somehow going to make the meat taste better is total BS.

So...I inadvertently semi used this method the other night when I was cooking wagyu ribeyes for some buddies. Used a Weber kettle with a chimney of lump dump on one half, brought the steaks' temp up a little bit on the direct side with the lid on, then cooked the remainder of the time direct with the lid off. Due to the high fat content, I flipped them often and moved them around different parts of the grate as needed. It was probably the best steak I ever had, although the quality of the meat surely had a lot to do with that. They were perfectly pink edge to edge like you'd get with SV and a pan sear. I'm going to cook a couple "regular" ribeyes today using the flippyflop method to compare.

I'm 99% sure it had nothing to do with flipping and everything to do with you and the quality of the meat :clap2:

I cook rib eye on my Weber. I rub them with some SPG and let them rest for about 30 minutes, and then place them on the grill. I leave them there for about 6 minutes, depending on thickness, then flip them. The cover is always on. I check the temps, take 'em off and let them rest for just a few minutes, no more.

I've been doing this for decades and never had one bad cook :thumb:

Back