The Science Behind Why Frequently Flipping Your Steaks Makes Them Better AND Tastier! You’ll Never Cook Steaks the Way You Used to After You Try This!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Recently, a thread was started HERE asking whether folks frequently flip their steaks when they cook them. A Jess Pryles video appeared in that thread demonstrating the specifics of the technique in her inimitable fashion.

While I was never really much of a flipper, I did concede it was possible that the technique had merit, especially for thinner cuts. Then, a secondary thread appeared HERE that is still active, and the controversy has been raging ever since, with clear lines drawn between the “Fleakers” and the “non-Fleakers”.

I decided to put the frequent flipping technique to the test, and lo and behold, the tastiest most transcendent steaks I have ever eaten were birthed. However, I did not document the cook, just took a few pictures of the meat. You can read my brief description here:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4579306

Given the controversy between the “Fleakers” and non-Fleakers, I decided to duplicate the experiment as exactly as before, but this time documenting it in words and photos, plus a free bonus video so you can make up your own minds.

As in my first cook, I started with 2 ¾ inch Prime-ish Ribeyes:

vvDJbht.jpg

I used a “compound” rub, consisting of Lawry’s, Oakridge Black Opps, and Trader Joe’s Coffee rub:

Lsxrn25.jpg

Steaks rubbed:

koooKPs.jpg

Weber kettle:

twnD0fk.jpg

VERY hot coals:

rDlrelK.jpg

And the steaks are on!

OQ1VZ5P.jpg

Flip #1:

pps6guG.jpg

Flip #2:

n25seyS.jpg

Flip #3:

qUFNIxu.jpg

Flip #4:

sBaIsrc.jpg

Flip #5:

qUFNIxu.jpg

Flip #6:

T9saizA.jpg

Flip #7:

LGJbyw6.jpg

Flip #8:

gIgnqIv.jpg

Flip #9:

uVYuo2M.jpg

Flips #10-12: Short video:

LowRW1m.gif

Fork shot:

CxYJdeN.jpg

The lighting wasn’t great for the fork shot, but the meat came out a nice solid medium.

I estimated I flipped about every 20 seconds, for a total cook time of about 4 minutes. Once again, the steaks were fantastic, the crust was great, and the flavor was off the charts – a distinct, fiery, smoky taste. I ate my steak in record time, and could have eaten another 1/2 if it were available, but The Missus ate ALL of her steak too!

So, at this point, I’ll offer a few observations:

• This technique works GREAT for ¾ inch ribeyes, so I’m a firm convert, though I cannot comment on how it might work for thicker steaks
  • You will like this technique if you like a smoky, crusty, juicy steak
  • You’ll need to cook over a VERY hot bed of coals
So there it is - the science is in and it’s settled! Thanks for watching, and looking forward to seeing some of you begin your flip-happy journey to better tasting steaks!

Disclaimer: This thread is for light hearted informational purposes only. The technique discussed in this thread is not meant to be compared to any other methods, such as boiling, broiling, baking, microwaving, air-frying, lasering, griddling, roasting, spinning, smoking, hanging, or frying, all of which may or may not have their own merits. Additionally, the word "science" was used in a similar humorous manner, and the author neither consulted with scientists or conducted this cooking experiment in a laboratory. Your results using this technique may vary and depicted results may not be typical for other users.

The matter is settled. Always flip your meat. Great scientific study and I agree with your conclusions*.

*CONTRAINDICATIONS:
Your first mistake was adding a heavy rub, which is like throwing a blanket on the surface of the steak. Instead of the surface of the meat browning, the rub burns. You can see from the pics it be like it is, because it do.

That's not scientific.

1) you have no control.
2) you did not cook one using both methods
3) you did not test different thicknesses

To properly perform this experiment, you must have at least 8 steaks. One for each cooking method being tested in each thickness and one control for each test method.

Hop to it. Cook more meat.

That's not scientific.

1) you have no control.

To properly perform this experiment, you must have at least 8 steaks. One for each cooking method being tested in each thickness and one control for each test method.

1. You must be a blast at parties
2. Take all of this with a grain (coarse or fine?) salt

H'mmm. I might just have to give this a spin.....I mean flip.

Three questions:
Did you put the lid on between flips?
How much of what beverage was consumed?
Is it a sip, chug, or shot for each flip?

Asking for a Brethren!

I definitely agree with the method for 1" and less steaks. I'm stuck on the reverse sear for thicker cuts but one day I'll work up the courage to try the flip on a thicker cut for comparison.

H'mmm. I might just have to give this a spin.....I mean flip.

Three questions:
Did you put the lid on between flips?
How much of what beverage was consumed?
Is it a sip, chug, or shot for each flip?

Asking for a Brethren!

You(and/or your Brethren friend(s) most certainly should give it a try - it was a flipping blast! Lid was off during the whole cook. No adult beverages, before, during, or after were consumed.

That's not scientific.

1) you have no control.

F0pkvxg.jpg

Back