Teaching a grilling class

tclark

Knows what a fatty is.
So I've been asked to teach a grilling class at the church and I'm looking for ideas/suggestions. I've never done anything like this before and not sure how I want to go about it (it's completely up to me on what we do). Will likely bring the Webers up there (got a 22 and 26 with slow n sear for both and a vortex).

Anyone ever done such a thing and have and ideas or suggestions? It will likely be a mix of complete nubes to folks better than me so need to appeal to a wide range of skill levels. I would guess it'll be less than 20 people.

Open to any and all input!

I've been teaching a part of an annual holiday cooking class. My approach has been to walk them through the process from buying meat (going over things like what you look for) to prep of meat and cooker, and ultimately through the cook. The students typically appreciate not only being told what to do but also give some reasons behind some decisions (examples: why you cook direct vs indirect, if you use smoke wood, which type of wood you would recommend and why). Give some tips where possible and encourage questions as well as think of simple questions you can ask them so things can be a little more interactive and not just read from a script.

As for what to cook, I too would try to keep it simple. Try to avoid a really complex cook or something you have to constantly be hands on or running around like crazy (having someone available to help you is very valuable if you can arrange that).

The above works for me but I'm sure there's other ways to teach a class.

You didn't say how long of a class but unless you're entertaining as well as being informative you'll want to keep things on the shorter side.... perhaps 1-2 hours at the most. I would also suggest you do a trial run for a friend or two just to see how organized your ideas and presentation are.

You didn't say how long of a class but unless you're entertaining as well as being informative you'll want to keep things on the shorter side.... perhaps 1-2 hours at the most. I would also suggest you do a trial run for a friend or two just to see how organized your ideas and presentation are.

That's about what it will be; seminar would likely be a more accurate term. Just a Sunday afternoon deal after church.

Well for starters you seem to be at a loss yourself as regards to your ideas and direction.
Next your going to have to plan on a 2 or 3 hour function VS a 5 or 6 hour rib cook, or a 8 to 10 pork butt.
Short cooks are burgers, brats, pork loin (135*) not shoe leather, pork chops, party wings, chicken legs and thighs.
You need to practice whatever you plan till you can sound creatable and leave them wanting more for another time.
Ed

In addition to ^^^, be sure to offer tips on how to keep everything juicy, resting meat, how to avoid over cooking.

Other end of the spectrum is overcooking on purpose - as in chicken thighs. The meat temperature charts and the thermometers with the little graphics on them tell you what temp it's safe to eat at. Safe bbq vs good bbq are not always the same temp.

I've helped with short grilling classes (90 minutes) at Eggfests but the general atmosphere is 7 or 8 hours that is a combination of showing off, answering questions, explaining tips and tricks and of course serving food.

Before the class started we had 2 Eggs lit and ready to cook on. One around 300° and the other around 400°. Coolers with prepped meats, and a couple of tables. Also a cooler with soft drinks and water. The evening before I would smoke 3 or 4 fatties and have them in foil ready to warm up. We would have one cold Egg and one person explained and demonstrated the various set-ups, how to build a fire, adjust vents etc. Meanwhile... one of us would be slicing fatties and serving on Kings Hawaiian rolls, with some sauces available. We explained how they were cooked, what rubs and times and temps. We also had a printed recipe. In fact we had recipes for everything that was cooked.

The rest of the class was a combination of explaining techniques and answering questions and cooking the various items. Sometimes the questions would be so good we didn't actually follow an outline. Having samples also worked very well, and with 2 cookers we would be able to serve maybe 3 more things in the next 90 minutes.

In addition to the fatties, we cooked things like chicken wings, skewers of marinated steak, pork tenderloin, kielbasa (the pre-smoked kind), and even salmon one year.

The basics- types of Charcoal, how to build and light a fire. Cook thigs that most will find useful ie burgers, chicken, steak. Go over the grill and some of the accessories.

1. What to grill
2. Types of grills, features and benefits
3. Starting a charcoal fire (with a chimney) and preheating a gas grill
4. Direct and indirect (maybe a tritip or pork tenderloin?) Started direct and go to indirect?)
5. Temperature probe equipment and why - cooking to temp, not time
6. Eat delicious tritip or whatever you cook

Just the basics. those who are interested will get into rubs, smoke, whatever.

Many of your students will have only gassers at home, so it might be worth some thought on techniques for them - or you could bring some inventory of kettles for sale.

Many of your students will have only gassers at home, so it might be worth some thought on techniques for them - or you could bring some inventory of kettles for sale.

I agree. Most folks have gassers.

Not sure how you’ll effectively cater to noobs and experienced backyard cooks. If me, I’d focus on one category, that being the noobs. Maybe invite the more experienced guys/gals to chime in and help add value to the class. With a focus on the noobs, it would be a focus on the all-around basics along with a few common, popular and tasty weeknight meals. Everybody is busy, and more often than not, is simply looking to up their game and provide good simple eats for their family. Maybe introduce one low n slow into the mix. Might be hard though if the class is only 1-2 hours. The KISS approach sounds right for this class, IMO.

As Robb mentioned complete meal.easy to grill chicken and Brussels sprouts at the same time . Side dishes in disposable aluminum pans can be good too. Turkey breast from WalMart. We use to go to cooking classes by a local chef. She would only cook food available at the local markets the day of the class.

1. What to grill
2. Types of grills, features and benefits
3. Starting a charcoal fire (with a chimney) and preheating a gas grill
4. Direct and indirect (maybe a tritip or pork tenderloin?) Started direct and go to indirect?)
5. Temperature probe equipment and why - cooking to temp, not time
6. Eat delicious tritip or whatever you cook

Just the basics. those who are interested will get into rubs, smoke, whatever.

I sat in on a free basic BBQ course at the local library and this list is pretty much what was taught and it was spot on for the audience who were asking basic questions like ”how do I tell when to flip the hamburger over?”

Most of the people were retired and imho mainly went for the free samples during the class.

Here are a few “easy for newbies to make” stuff that make good samples.

A 1-1/2” thick ribeye on the Slow-n-Sear is quick and easy and always gives excellent results. Chicken wings on a vortex takes a bit longer but is also easy and gives excellent results. You could probably do the wings on the slow n sear after you pull the steak off.
Buffalo turds are also super easy and are a hit.

Last edited:
Back