THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cullenbranson

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Cullen
Hello all. I want to share yesterday's cook. This represents my first cook post. Beautiful day in the STL area and had a couple buddies over to enjoy the afternoon with, while our kiddos played and my wife worked.

The menu was 3 racks of baby backs weighing-in at about 3 pounds each. A friend brought some spiced-up mayo-based cole slaw and I also made some sweet potato cornbread muffins. I love cornbread and sweet potatoes with almost any smoked meat and I came across the below recipe, so seemed like a good idea to combine the two . . . my first attempt at it.

I got Dr. Irene Kennedy (name of my WSM - one of my favorite characters from a series of books I like) ready with some ROCS and pecan chunks. I've really been enjoying pecan lately with anything, and found a great Ozarks-area supplier. While Irene's getting ready, I took the ribs out, rinsed them, skinned them, trimmed them a bit, and rubbed with Oakridge Dominator (I love this stuff).

Ribs Rubbed.jpg

Took almost 90 minutes to get to TBS, been taking a little longer lately, not sure why. Ribs on

Ribs onto Dr. Irene Kennedy.jpg

Decided to throw a fatty on as well. Rubbed with Smokin' Guns Hot.

Fattie Rubbed.jpg

Fatty on and ribs checked and flipped at the two hour mark.

Ribs at 2 hrs flipped fattie on.jpg

Another two hours, fatty off, and ribs checked and flipped again. Smelling good and almost ready. I don't/didn't wrap or spritz or sauce.

Ribs coming off.jpg

Ribs off after another 45 mins or so and resting while I make the muffins. My buddy said, "that's beautiful". Funny, my sentiments exactly. Simple things in life, right?

Ribs resting.jpg

Sweet potato cornbread muffins players (I've always wanted to write that, "players" that is)

Sweet Pot Players.jpg

Recipe thanks to Eatright.org:

Ingredients
2 ¼ cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup turbinado sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 ¾ cups low-fat buttermilk
1 cup mashed roasted sweet potato (about 1 large)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup butter, melted

Combine wet ingredients, combine dry ingredients, mix wet into dry only until it comes together and cook at 425 for about 20 minutes.

I substituted white whole wheat flour for the AP and raw cane sugar for the turbinado because that's what I had on hand. I also chunked and steamed the potato in lieu of roasting.

Ribs cut and I like to serve them on the cutting board. I think it looks cool and also makes using a plate optional. We did in fact use plates for the cole slaw, but the ribs and muffins were straight from board and bowl to mouth . . . my preference. When my wife joins in, we get a bit more civilized however.

Ribs cut.jpg

Rib bite, please excuse the picture quality. I thought they were absolutely delicious with great texture and flavor and hope the friends and kiddos agreed. Thank you Dr. Irene Kennedy.

Rib bite.jpg

I really enjoyed the muffins too. I think next time I may try with regular AP flour and a finer grind corn meal. They were excellent with a touch of honey.

Muffins.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Great looking food and great first post.
So, just how hot is this Dr. Irene?
Uh, I mean what temp did you cook at?

Ha! I envision an American-accented Tilda Swinton-esque figure from the books. In real life she's black, hard, a bit round and can get pretty fiery.

Seriously - I'm not sure. If I had to guess based on the color and density of the smoke and the heat on my hand from the top vent, swinging anywhere from 240-290, averaging probably 260 based on the cook time. My baby backs method has become: flip at 2 hours, flip again at 4 hours mark and check for doneness. A 3 pound rack has been taking just over 4.5 hours. I like the bend test or sometimes I just pick them up with a bbq-gloved hand. I started trusting the WSM to do it's thing without worrying about temps and other types of things. It's liberating and fun.

Back