Spinning Prime Rib Steak W/ Marrow

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
With Prime Rib on specials for the Holidays, we pickup up an extra bone in whole Rib Roast to dry age. It was a little too big for the Umai bag so I sliced off a couple bones for steaks
This one was just under 2” and a good hunk of meat

View attachment 137133

We love the Porcini rub so I ground some up.

View attachment 137134

I usually just add the rub dry and let it soak in but went with a little EVOO this time. The Marrow Bones got a splash also.

View attachment 137135

Since it was a Prime Rib Roast, I treated it that way and gave a dusting of Au Jus powder

View attachment 137136

Then the Porcini Rub. No sugar this time because I did not want it to crust up too soon. Used some Smoked Black Pepper I got from a Jerky cook (when I cut it down, I put the strings into a paper bag and when taking the jerky off the strings, some of the pepper falls off and I save it), Salt, Garlic powder, and Onion powder. Liberal coating

View attachment 137137

Here is where it gets interesting – On the Weber rotisserie with the Beeph, Bone Marrow sitting atop of a big Portobello mushroom, and a few seasoned scallops on the side. All Indirect with a few mesquite chunks. The Bones / Shroom strategically placed to catch any Beep drippings!

View attachment 137138

Pictures don’t do the spinning action justice so here is a little live spinning action

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrN1x1p7Caw"]Roto Prime Rib Steak - YouTube[/ame]

Marrow is just about done and the spinning meat at 114° IT. Time to take it off for a rest while I prepare the grill with extra coal in the center.

View attachment 137139

A coating of Oakridge Carne Crosta for the upcoming sear.

View attachment 137140

The Appetizer – Bone Marrow, Toasted Baguette with Garlic Butter and Portobello Mushroom that has some marrow drippings !

View attachment 137141

Marrow is Sooooooo Gooooooood!

View attachment 137142

OK Weber is ready and time to sear this hunk of Beeph

View attachment 137143

Had a little trouble with the rub / crust falling off. I think from the EVOO because I never had that problem before?

View attachment 137144

It's done and ready for another short rest

View attachment 137145

Cut open. It was very tender – the knife glided right through it

View attachment 137146

A little closer look – The rotisserie holes are evident

View attachment 137147

Sliced a few with Scallops

View attachment 137148

A fork shot of course! Had to taste test!

View attachment 137149

I normally cook steak hot and fast but the rotisserie method of reverse sear worked out great and was fun. It was very tender and flavorful even if some of the crust was sacrificed to the Grill Gods
Thanks for Lookin
SD

Last edited:
Stopped by my local grocers this morning to score a Prime Rib for my upcoming birthday.

Needless to say, at $13.79/lb., I passed. :wacko:
Bummer.

Your pics just make it worse. :crazy:

I was "Technically" there for supplies for Ham and Bean soup, but I spotted the roasts from roughly 40 feet away.

To say I was dissapointed was an understatement.

Back