Spend a Saturday around the fire/offset to clear our heads.

LordRiffenstein

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Yoeri
My mother-in-law died recently after a 2 year battle with cancer. We were told end of November that no more treatment was possible so she went into hospice at that point. They gave here 2 months at best. We got to celebrate here 73rd birthday on Dec 19 but after that her health started to get worse. She quietly passed away on Jan 7th, her funeral was last Wednesday.

So this past weekend was the 1st in a long time where we had nowhere to go and had some US time. Normally, the Dutch BBQ forum would have it´s annual winter bash but not this year obviously. So we decided to have our own 'bash' on Saturday and do some outdoor cooking. It started snowing at around 2pm which was perfect for the occasion.

We had a few items on the menu:

Moinkballs on the pellet grill.

Chicken wings naked on the offset, then rubbed with Kosmos Chile Lime Wing Dust. It's weird to add seasoning after the cook but dang this works and the wing dust is great.

For dinner we'd have beef short ribs. Rubbed with Oakridge black ops en extra peper, smoked on the offset. This must have been one FAT cow. The ribs were 2,4 kg and I removed +800gr of hard fat. They were USA Choice but the marbling was great, like prime. I had zero interest in fighting the smoker, started it with a bit to much charcoal so it decided it wanted to sit at 280-300. So I let it do it´s thing and the ribs were done in 5.5 hours.

We had discovered a bag of pinto beans last week, I asked for recipes on here and we decided to make the refried beans. The beans might not look very pretty but they sure pack a bunch of flavor!

We had the ribs and beans with some homemade fermented coleslaw. The slaw added a nice tangy flavor and some crunch to the plate. The juiciness of the ribs was off the scale, they tasted amazing.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

07.jpg

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg