THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My grandmother doesn't like the "smoky" flavor, my wife doesn't like the taste of GBP or garlic, everyone else doesn't like chiles in the rub... I decided that since I'm the one doing all the work, I'm gonna cook it the way I like it! Most of them still eat it. I throw on some burgers or chicken breats on the grill for the ones that don't.

Btw, anything cooked over charcoal is going to have a a smoky flavor. Even grilled foods take on a smoky flavor from the juices/marinade dripping down and burning.

My grandmother doesn't like the "smoky" flavor...Btw, anything cooked over charcoal is going to have a a smoky flavor. Even grilled foods take on a smoky flavor from the juices/marinade dripping down and burning.

I'd like to agree, but I'll never forget some bone-in chicken breast that I cooked on my first offset with nothing but lump. I told myself that I'd never do that again since the oven would've been easier and I wouldn't have missed a thing.

Why did it have no smoke flavor? Was it all fully lit and just burning too clean? Probably so, and the fact that this was a cheap NB probably didn't help either. I suspect that what little smoke there was simply stayed well above the cooking grate. Of course, on that cooker, none of the drippings would steam up or smoke, and that's back when I was really particular about keeping the grates clean.

I dunno what you guys are doing, I cook chicken without wood fairly often, using lump, at 300F to 450F depending on how I feel. It always has some flavor from the fire. It could be that I rarely if ever clean my kettle more than a quick brushing and rinse. But, I have not had a neutral flavor in a long time.

When the fat and juices drip on the fire it give a smoke flavor or a grill flavor Some people don't care for the grill flavor either

Use a good quality lump like Wicked Good or some thing of similar quality and you'll be fine. It will still have a little smoky flavor, but not near as much as you would if you used wood chunks for extra flavor. Cook indirect as mentioned until you're about 5 minutes out from done temp. Then finish over the coals to crisp the skin and set the sauce if you're using any.

I think some around here are wrapped around the axles with their idea of BBQ, but BBQ is a verb, not a noun!!!

As was already mentioned-go with the oven. No matter what fuel you use, you will get some kind of smoky flavor, unless you're using a propane smoker or a watt burner:wink:

As was already mentioned-go with the oven. No matter what fuel you use, you will get some kind of smoky flavor, unless you're using a propane smoker or a watt burner:wink:
Totally agree! You will definitley still get a smoky taste using charcoal only. After all isnt charcoal made of wood too?

I was watching some videos of Mike Wozniak of Team QUAU, those that don't know, he won World Champion at the Jack last year. He only uses charcoal in has Custom Peoria Cooker.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Back