Smoked Beef Shanks (and other stuff)

keeperofsecrets

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
ringo
I was asked to put my money where my mouth is and bring BBQ in for a work event. Because I don't like seeing any smoke go to waste, I put some stuff on for me.
For the work event, I cooked two pork butts and 12 or so chicken quarters, cheez-its, and "Hunter Mix" nuts and other stuff. For me, I added unsmoked ham hocks, a monster prime brisket, st. Louis Ribs, and beef shanks. I also put a second smoke to some salt. Here it is the morning of:

yELnNAj.jpg

For those interested, it took FOREVER to find beef shanks that hadn't already been sliced into osso bucco slices - I wanted the whole thing. I finally found what I was looking for in the butcher's freezer at the Nam dae mun Farmer's Market in Norcross, GA. They laughed at me when I asked for it whole...

1qYnhL6.jpg

Having never smoked a whole shank, I looked for advice from many places. There isn't, ahem, a bounty of helpful advice. For Osso Bucco - yes. For the big bone...and smoked? Not so much. Not to say there wasn't any, but I generally like to look at multiple sources to get a feel for the similarities in ingredients and approaches. Couldn't this time, so I winged it. I just used my brisket rub (a slight modification from Dalmatian) and added it to the smoker at or in the neighborhood of 225.

Oh, here's a sexy shot of the brisket:

e5pNmkj.jpg

My first time smoking ham hocks as well. Found them at the same Farmers Market. Brined them in a basic brine overnight. They turned out just fine.

I smoked everything with a mix of white oak and hickory and started at about 0600:

xBPl1h0.jpg

Here's about halfway through after I took the chicken off:

WLKVA01.jpg

I took everything but the brisket off at about 7:00. Brisket came in at midnight. After trimming, the packer was about 15 lbs, so 18 hours was about right. But this posting is about the shanks. Here they are after I brought them in:

R1ncQ5K.jpg

For context, that pan is a full-size hotel pan which measures 12 inches X 20 inches.

The meat was pot roast tender. As tender and as flavorful as the best steak you have ever eaten. It was a transformative experience.

c582Pxn.jpg

It is a meal that you could use to feed a large family. It's more than a meal, it's a statement. I'll probably cook another pair for thanksgiving, and I bet that more people go for the shank than go for the turkey.

Wow! You really put down a spread.

Those shanks look off-the-chain delicious. Any chance you'd kick the rest of us uneducated folks towards some info on the subject so we can try to follow suit?

How'd the grub go over at the office?

I took to shanks because my Mom used to make oxtail stew, and I saw them as giant oxtails. But they really deserve to be in the spotlight as more than stew meat. They're the ham hocks of beef, but much larger, thank you!

But there is a lot of tendon and silver skin to manage.

Wow! You really put down a spread.

Those shanks look off-the-chain delicious. Any chance you'd kick the rest of us uneducated folks towards some info on the subject so we can try to follow suit?

How'd the grub go over at the office?

The butts ended up as standard pulled pork, after I injected with apple juice and a heavy butt rub of my own design. They were on for 12 hours. I dusted the chicken quarters with a western-style rub and spritzed with beer. They were on for about 6 hours. I used two of the hocks to make collard greens, and they were a smash.

A word on greens: for the first time, but not the last time, I used Caldo de Pollo Chicken Bouillon to make the broth that was the foundation for the pot liquor. Much easier than my own broth, and just as good.
I also made macaroni and cheese and baked beans. The Cheez-Its and nuts that I smoked were rubbed with my rib rub.

Everything went over well. My boss almost single-handedly polished off the nuts.

I saved the shank and brisket for my wife and me. So far we have had brisket and eggs, brisket tacos, and shanks with mashed potatoes.
A word on brisket: if you look at Prime, but "settle" for a lower grade due to cost, buy the prime anyway. Its worth it.

That's some good cooking there and I will agree in that I would go for the shanks before the turkey and I do love turkey.

Back