THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sid Post

is Blowin Smoke!
https://www.humphreysbbq.com/products/the-weekender

I was planning on getting a Humphrey Weekender pre-COVID for a small easy to move cabinet smoker. Well, these seem to have gotten really expensive at $2K today.

I want good quality but, $2K for a smoker like this seems high. What would you suggest other than a WSM or similar for small groups or just myself for smoking something on a vacation trip or short term at some distant location?

My only hard requirement is something that will be transportable in a car and will be easy to clean for a car trip to keep the mess in the car under control. I'm thinking of a Heavy Trash bag over the smoker in a plastic tub or something similar. Weight and size need to be reasonable for one person to load and unload.

What is good these days that isn't affected so much by inflation? I have done the Weber Smokey Joe and 14" WSM in the past but, the mess is hard to keep under control and, I would like something less sensitive to wind and light showers. Air flow needs to be good for possible high altitude use as well like I have seen in Arizona, Colorado, and similar places. I have stayed places where Pinto beans would only cook in a Pressure Cooker around the North Rim and Zion National Park as one example.

What is good these days at a ~$1K cost? This is not a hard absolute limit but, I need to be reasonable with the amount of use this will get.

TIA,
Sid

Red Box Smoker is really small but it checks all your boxes. Well under your budget. Just can't cook a brisket unless you find a tiny brisket.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Red Box Smoker is really small but it checks all your boxes. Well under your budget. Just can't cook a brisket unless you find a tiny brisket.

I was going to suggest Big Woods Smoker on amazon for $699 but I remembered a thread with a link to get the Red Box for $299.

https://ssomd.com/products/red-box-smoker

For the OP, check out the thread I'm talking about. Some options other than cabinet smokers...

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298467&highlight=portable+smoker

That Red Box Smoker is cute as a bug. Grate size might limit you but I don't think you are going to find a better "car transportable" cabinet smoker out there.

I hate to say it because I love my smoker but have to say that my Long Weekender is barely portable. It’s very manageable for two guys but no way could I see myself getting it into the trunk of a car by myself, fortunately I have a pickup truck so I can slide it into the bed. For the price the Chubby 3400 is probably the best bet, I think the Red Box is a little too small.

I've always liked that chubby 3400 since I'm not in the go big or go home camp. It's a great size to me. But it's 31" tall and 20 X 22.5 square. it'd fit great in an SUV, pickup or van assuming you can pickup and maneuver 130#. Not sure what car trunk could hold it.

I think the red box is 70 pounds. Not light but doable. I put mine on a cart so I wouldn't have to lug it around. Don't use it but every couple of years.

That Red Box smoker is cool! I've been looking for something to use in the winter time when I don't want to pull out my big offset. Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

That Red Box Smoker is cute as a bug. Grate size might limit you but I don't think you are going to find a better "car transportable" cabinet smoker out there.

4 people is big as I would expect to need it but, most of the time it will likely be just myself flying solo. The cooking capacity looks optimistic but, it looks like one Butt, one Ham, a couple racks of Ribs, a Roast, or some Steaks would be pretty easy to fit in it and retain good airflow. The hot spots and heat management might be a little tricky but, should be manageable as well.

I've always liked that chubby 3400 since I'm not in the go big or go home camp. It's a great size to me. But it's 31" tall and 20 X 22.5 square. it'd fit great in an SUV, pickup or van assuming you can pickup and maneuver 130#. Not sure what car trunk could hold it.

Yep, I'd likely need to add one of the electric chair thingy's to it for a Chubby 3400 or Weekender. The Weekender weight is in the 300# range so, probably to heavy for my car as well.

The Chubby 3400 is listed at 174# so, a more likely fit for my car.

The Red Box seems like an obvious choice for the application but, the Chubby 3400 has my attention for the "Go Big or Go Home" option! Not very practical though and I question wanting an electric cart on my Honda.

I think the red box is 70 pounds. Not light but doable. I put mine on a cart so I wouldn't have to lug it around. Don't use it but every couple of years.

I wrangle some 80# sacks of feed and have worked with 80# bags of concrete so, a 70# smoker would be a reasonable thing for me to move by myself, assuming it can be grabbed reasonably by one person.

That Red Box smoker is cool! I've been looking for something to use in the winter time when I don't want to pull out my big offset. Thanks!

Check out the Backwoods Chubby 3400 from Houston, Tx. It is a bigger price point but, the size is more appropriate for colder month Holiday events IMHO.

I have wanted a Humphrey or TK smoker for a long time but, the size and weight really are against me with this planned usage.

The Chubby 3400 is closer but, really too big and a bit heavy. If I had an SUV for my vacations instead of my daily driver Honda Accord, the Chubby 3400 would be an easy choice since I could roll it up and tip into the SUV. I could probably do that with a Humphrey Weekend but, 300# is a lot tip and hinge lift into an SUV solo. If I had a good travel buddy, the Humphrey would work pretty well for me.

A Red Box or PKGo are both a whole lot more practical for me.

Thought you were asking about a small cabinet smoker. If you are just looking for a portable cooker period, that opens up the field.

Don't the PK Grills function as smokers? Not really a cabinet, more of a 'chest'. For a grill, I'd just take my Smokey Joe. I have done light smoking in a Weber Kettle but, that is way too messy for transport in a car.

Last edited:
https://www.pkgrills.com/the-original-pktx-grill-smoker-classic-silver/

It looks like this 20"x20"x26" for the main capsule with a an extra 14" for the scissor legs where I could put a small case or duffle bag. I'll have to measure my trunk opening but, I might not be able to get something that long with a cook capsule on it to fit through the opening. It would fit with my backseat folded down (4-door car) leaving my trunk open for everything else.

I need to dig in a little to learn more about the "smoking" part of this PK Grill but, it looks promising.

Don't the PK Grills function as smokers? Not really a cabinet, more of a 'chest'. For a grill, I'd just take my Smokey Joe. I have done light smoking in a Weber Kettle but, that is way too messy for transport in a car.

Yes, you can 2 zone smoke on a PKGO (limited space). The GO doesn't have the scissor legs you mention, it needs a table to rest on. It's smaller and more portable than the classic you linked.

Also check out the Oklahoma joe rambler. It has an adjustable height charcoal tray. You can 2 zone smoke on that, too. $200.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OKLAHOMA-JOE-S-Rambler-Portable-Charcoal-Grill-in-Black-with-218-sq-in-Cook-Space-19402088/315404340?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US

Last edited:
Back