Second Brisket Attempt Help

i tried something similar to this a few weeks ago, smoked naked until IT of 190, then wrapped in tallow soaked paper, then wrapped tightly in foil and into my warming chest for about 18 hours, turned out to be EPIC, no pot roasty taste at all

"Maybe brisket isn't for me."

Go try brisket at a GOOD BBQ place to see what brisket "should" taste like. That will give you a reference point.

My Memorial day brisket wasn't probe tender until 209F! A bit higher than usual but, the end result was fantastic. But then again, I love brisket...

You should just fly into Austin and try several BBQ joints including Franklins , then rent a car and drive up to DFW and try Goldees and Panther City and Hein’s and Hurtado and Pecan Lodge…….

You should just fly into Austin and try several BBQ joints including Franklins , then rent a car and drive up to DFW and try Goldees and Panther City and Hein’s and Hurtado and Pecan Lodge…….

If I could only! Little rough getting time off from work and try to spend every chance I get with my kids while they are still little.

Only one small bbq place around me and they've went to nearly all cater only and some drive through since covid hit. I've had brisket a few times at a few different places, but never really liked it, which is why I am trying to try my own. Guy I work with is from Arkansas and eats out a lot traveling, has said he hasn't found one around here that compares to a TX brisket. Since I've started seriously cooking and smoking almost 20 years ago for my family and friends, there's not too many restaurants we like anymore that's better than my own cooking. Not trying to toot my own horn or say anything bad against them, just brisket isn't really big around here where people try and perfect it like in TX.

If I could only! Little rough getting time off from work and try to spend every chance I get with my kids while they are still little.

Only one small bbq place around me and they've went to nearly all cater only and some drive through since covid hit. I've had brisket a few times at a few different places, but never really liked it, which is why I am trying to try my own. Guy I work with is from Arkansas and eats out a lot traveling, has said he hasn't found one around here that compares to a TX brisket. Since I've started seriously cooking and smoking almost 20 years ago for my family and friends, there's not too many restaurants we like anymore that's better than my own cooking. Not trying to toot my own horn or say anything bad against them, just brisket isn't really big around here where people try and perfect it like in TX.

I had Never tried a Good BBQ joint till a cpl weeks ago I stopped in Panther City on my way home from work- I got a pound of sliced brisket 50/50 - $34. I Wish I hadn’t -it was GOOD and Now I’m Not Happy with my briskets anymore - just had 35 ppl eat my brisket n ribs this past Fri. Nite at my GBaby’s graduation party - they All Loved it - me not as much……… I need to go to Dickies BBQ so then my brisket will be Fantastic again……… :heh:

Don't be hard on yourself- you have 2 briskets under your belt. I have done a few more than 2 and they've ran the range of pretty good to very good (as per friends and family) . My thing is- I don't know what a "truly great" brisket would even taste like.

I don't think I'd try a "religious experience" brisket and just give up cooking what I cook.
But I'd know better what I'm shooting for.

Keep at it.

LOL aint that the truth...there was one on bryant irvin in fort worth for about a year.....not sure how it even lasted that long

Had to reread Dickey's comment twice to make sure I did read that right lol.
We went there while traveling for work in Philidelphia MS, never been so underwhelmed with quality and portions for the price.

Am I crazy in still thinking that a crazy long hold isn't helping things? I don't know if it'd affect the taste in the way described, but certainly the texture. Right?

Granted this was only my second one, but to me it was better rested this time than the cooler method I used before. I pulled mine a little early where it was probe tender but not 100%, maybe 97% where I wanted it, and it came out better than all other briskets I've ever tried.

Back