THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
Spent the last 2 days getting my Blue Collar Smoker by Big Phil ready to cook this weekend

Sprayed the outside down the other night with distilled vinegar to remove a little bit of the rust for appearance purposes

Today I seasoned the inside of the pit with peanut oil and sprayed the grates down with avocado oil

Then got a big fire going - ran it between 400 and 450 - and applied the linseed oil to the firebox and chamber - used a thermal gun - when temps on outside were over 400. Had to use a propane flame thrower to heat up the stack, collector, and the frame/shelving

Thing runs awesome

66-FA1-F8-F-35-B0-4-E12-96-C8-553-BDA916-B69.jpg

CB44-E0-E7-BF10-41-D7-B630-6009-D402-BC6-A.jpg

Couple photos of the finished product - that 3/8th steel can build a coal bed and maintain temps

Looks great! I need to reapply the linseed on my pit, Workhorse didn’t ship my cover for a couple months after delivery and the winter snow has made the firebox rusty. I imagine this happens to all raw steel pits as no coating will survive the heat.

Nice! I'll be doing my recently finished vertical smoker today. Going with a hot fire is definitely the way. I tried using just the propane torch on the bottom and it was taking forever.

Yes -getting it hot is the way to go with a big fire - and then you can torch those areas that may not be getting enough heat. Be careful with the Linseed - it will combust if on a sponge or rag

Not sure if I will ever use it as a griddle - but I did season the flat top on the firebox with BuzzyWaxx - seemed to work very well.

Do you plan to run a biscuit test? I'm curious to see how this pit compares to some others.

Had not really thought about it - but let me see what i can do. I was very impressed with the differences between the top and bottom grates (per the gauges) - about 5 degrees difference. Both of my gauges are on the stack side - so uncertain of temps from left to right.

Was also running it very hot in order to do the linseed.

The linseed oil you use, is it raw linseed oil or boiled linseed oil (blo)? Since the sponge/rag bundle self ignited I am guessing blo, I don't believe raw will do that.

Thanks. I was not implying what you used was wrong, I was just curious which one you applied. Blo has long been used as a wood finish also as a conditioner for oil based paint. More than one house has burned down from careless painters leaving bundled blo wet rags laying around. I have a personal experience of just that. It wasn't me, really.

66-FA1-F8-F-35-B0-4-E12-96-C8-553-BDA916-B69.jpg

CB44-E0-E7-BF10-41-D7-B630-6009-D402-BC6-A.jpg

Couple photos of the finished product - that 3/8th steel can build a coal bed and maintain temps

It’s a little hard to tell, did it turn more brown or black after the treatment? I seen one the other day that almost looked more blued, which is the look I want to try to achieve on my 500

Thanks. I was not implying what you used was wrong, I was just curious which one you applied. Blo has long been used as a wood finish also as a conditioner for oil based paint. More than one house has burned down from careless painters leaving bundled blo wet rags laying around. I have a personal experience of just that. It wasn't me, really.

No worries - I didn’t think that - just didn’t know if I used the wrong type

I had read where it could combust on shop rags - but was still surprised when I looked over and the sponge was on fire!

It’s a little hard to tell, did it turn more brown or black after the treatment? I seen one the other day that almost looked more blued, which is the look I want to try to achieve on my 500

The firebox turned a little darker - have to assume that is because the firebox got hotter than the rest of the smoker

Back