Recommendations needed: freezer alarm

PitRow

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Mike
Last night I went out into the garage and discovered someone had left the freezer door wide open. Neither of the kids claimed responsibility :roll: so Santa must have done it. Anyway it was probably open a good 15 hours, everything had completely defrosted. Luckily it was just the spare 'fridge freezer not the deep freezer, but still I figure I lost a good few hundred bucks worth of meat. This is not the first time something like this has happened. :tsk:

So... does anyone have recommendations for a good freezer alarm that can alert me when the temp raises to a certain point? I have one on the deep freezer but it doesn't have any kind of connectivity so I can't really hear it going off from in the house. I'd like something that hooks to wifi (not bluetooth) so I can get an alert on my phone, but I haven't had much success finding anything like that. At the very least something with a very loud alarm that I can hear from the other side of the house. Thanks.

I use Sensorpush devices that are bluetooth integrated with a mobile app. If you want to be able to receive alerts while you're away from home, they sell a wifi gateway that can do that. I like these devices because they're made in the USA. There are quite a few other options if that doesn't matter to you that are also wifi integrated.

Earlier this year I took advantage of a Thermoworks discount on their Node with one port. The intent was to monitor the freezer and send an alert via wifi if needed. Setup was easy, the alerts worked fine.

My issue with it was for some reason which I fail to remember the details, the display would show the ambient temp instead of the freezer temp. Kinda useless when I walked past the freezer and couldn't see the freezer temp unless I pressed a button. I called Support about the issue, they acknowledged the problem, saying it might be fixed in the future with a firmware update. I wasn't taking that risk given the price and returned it.

I'll stick with my tried and true Thermowotks RT801 which always displays the freezer temp but only has an alarm in the unit itself. Not perfect, but good enough as the freezer is in my basement laundry room which is adjacent to my shop.

-Dom

I've been using wireless tags. Been working well, only issue is battery life since the tag lives in the deep freeze. They do have a new one that can be powered externally, haven't looked at that one yet.

https://wirelesstag.net

Sorry to hear that! I feel your pain. My freezer was left open and I was blessed enough to catch it before everything was ruined. I had to cook a $130 prime rib roast and have my wife's family come over to help eat it. Anyway, I now use a thermoworks signals alarm for my freezer, and I highly recommend it. I've tried a few different ones from Amazon but I still had issues with them not alerting me soon enough.

I use Sensorpush devices that are bluetooth integrated with a mobile app. If you want to be able to receive alerts while you're away from home, they sell a wifi gateway that can do that. I like these devices because they're made in the USA. There are quite a few other options if that doesn't matter to you that are also wifi integrated.

Samesies. I have them with 2 wifi gateways. I moved my deep freeze in October, and it knocked loose something and apparently started leaking freon. A few days later, the Sensorpush started blowing up my phone that the freezer was above the 'high temp alarm' I was able to shift everything to a walk-in temporarily, and saved all the food thanks to the Sensorpush.

I've heard of the wireless tags that were mentioned as well. A couple friends have those and have great luck with them.

Last edited:
I bought YoLink Smart Wireless Temperature/Humidity Sensor Wide Range for Freezer Fridge Monitoring on the recommendation of a bunch of members of another board. I honestly haven't popped them in yet, but between the other board members and the online reviews it should be good and only $50 for two.

Add me as a third using SensorPush. I have one in the garage fridge, one in the garage freezer, and the Wi-Fi bridge. Works great, a little pricy, but I'd still buy it again.

Back