THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've belonged to many forums over the years. I've always appreciated the heavy moderated forums. I think you guys do a great job. :thumb:

My only comment would be that when you delete posts, people don't even notice. I think some offenders move on without even noticing the deletion. I prefer to see post locked with a warning. This lets everyone see what was wrong and hopefully learn from the mistakes. Of course, this doesn't always work and sometimes deletion is needed. But... Something to consider. Maybe you do this? I haven't seen it in the last month or so.

Thanks for the great forum.

Thanks to the moderators for all you do.
While some may think different I know this is a better site because of the many hours put in by the moderators. Thanks

I've been here since the beginning. And it has changed..a lot. And at times I have to admit that I resent the change. But even with the changes it's still the best place on the internet to hang out.

The culture has changed. But I've been thinking about that since Phil started this thread with his initial post. And you know what, it can change back to the way it was. It can. I believe that.

It takes those of us that have been around a long time to set the example. And I'm committed to doing just that. Yes, I know what your thinking. That Larry guy from Rocklin can be pretty captious. And I can. I can have a caustic wit and sarcasm about me. With 100 members that worked okay. But with 18,000+ members it doesn't. There isn't the chance to get to know people personally.

I used to take the time to greet each new member personally with a PM. I don't do that any longer. But I'm going to start doing it again. I used to send nice notes to people with great threads, but I don't any more. I need to go back to that. You know why? Because Jorge was right. We are family.

Many of you "newer" members don't or can't understand that. But it's true. We used to care about each and every member like they were our brothers and sisters. For some that's still the case. This is the "home" where my best friends live. My best friends are people I care about.

"How can you have such feelings for people you've never met?" is a question you might find yourself wondering about. Well I can't explain it. I am a Mormon, a religion with a very tight knit sense of community. I know that when I need something I can find it there, for the most part. But when I am truely down and need a pick me up I know a phone call or a text to Ron_L, C Rocke, BBQ Bubba or Nthole is going to result in something that will cheer me up. I've made life long friends with Jacob, Landarc, Smokejumper, Zydecopaws, Smokin'Aussie, deguerre and others. I know I can go anywhere in the US and find a place to stay and a meal. How awesome is that?

When my son-in-law was about to be deployed to Iraq for the second time I was able to find support from Kevin and Jorge. And now that he's going back for a third time I know I'll be able to lean on them again.

This is the place where I get my support for day to day life. I don't go to bars to relax, I come here at night after work. My wife doesn't understand it, but she knows what everyone means to me and knows, from attending Bashes with me, that I love and respect the members (at least most of them) more than anyone outside my family.

So this is a long winded way of say I'm sorry for my part in making things hard on Phil, Jorge and the mods. I love you guys I really do. And I promise to do my part to start the change BACK to the way we were.

I've belonged to many forums over the years. I've always appreciated the heavy moderated forums. I think you guys do a great job. :thumb:

My only comment would be that when you delete posts, people don't even notice. I think some offenders move on without even noticing the deletion. I prefer to see post locked with a warning. This lets everyone see what was wrong and hopefully learn from the mistakes. Of course, this doesn't always work and sometimes deletion is needed. But... Something to consider. Maybe you do this? I haven't seen it in the last month or so.

Thanks for the great forum.

Good points...but some further insight into why and how.

We take a different route most of the time. Locking a thread is usually a last resort, and deleting posts, like I said, are judgment calls. Sometimes a deletion may seem random, but when you look thru a mods eyes, at the big picture, and know the history of a person or thread, or counter history of someone else that may be effected by a post or thread, you will take on a totally different perspective.

A post is deleted one of several reasons reasons. Either its OT, its banter, or its a rule violation.

OT posts are left as long as they dont derail the thread. Same with the banter. These posts may also get "scrubbed" during housekeeping. Usually theres no notice giving when it comes to housekeeping, as its done when threads go cold.

Rule violations may or may not come with PMs. If it is an obvious violation, it deserves to disappear and the author knows it.

In other cases, where the post was discussed among the mods due to it being in a gray area, or it was reported by another member, or (whatever reason that makes it NOT blatent), we delete with a explanatory PM to the author.

at fianlly, there are the times where we may delete AND put a warning in the thread, or leave the violating post addressing it publicly,, implementing the warnings and leave the thread open. I do not do that to embarrass or chastise anyone publicly, but as you said, it lets everyone see and learn form the mistake. (A perfect example is currently in the penalty box in woodpile where I stepped in last night)

Locking a thread(in the case of quality threads) not only punishes everyone who took valid interest in the topic, but removes our ability to debate, teach, and learn. Its only done as a last resort after repeated warnings when folks just 'wont get it' .

(CHORUS:)
We are family
I got all my Brethren with me
We are family
Get up ev'rybody and sing

Ev'ryone can see we're together
As we walk on by
(FLY!) and we fly just like birds of a feather
I won't tell no lie
(ALL!) all of the people around us they say
Can they be that close
Just let me state for the record
We're giving love in a family dose

(CHORUS x2)

Living life is fun and we've just begun
To get our share of the world's delights
(HIGH!) high hopes we have for the future
And our goal's in sight
(WE!) no we don't get depressed
Here's what we call our golden rule
Have faith in you and the things you do
You won't go wrong
This is our family Jewel

(REPEAT CHORUS TO FADE)

I agree with most of what's been said. But in my opinion, with specific regards to the "Turkey" thread that seemed to bring all of this about, all I saw was people being critical of the info in the post of the OP, unless I missed some thing? I find it disengenuos that people could expect to throw their weight around like it was and not expect some witty sarcasm to come their way, and then to get puffy about it.

But all in all, this is a good forum, with all of it's characters and what not. Sure, things get side tracked from time to time, but think that's normal with a group this large and as passionate about some thing.

Like I always tell my kids, it is what it is and just keep on keepin' on!!!

Thanks for the reminder. Although I had no investment in the problem Turkey thread....Id like to say, lets just get back on track........As the premiere forum.

I have read your post and will comply. Also read the referred-to thread and realized that I had automatically edited out the name calling.

I'm a newb here too, and don't engage in any bashing/comments that are questionable of any sort. But it is hard to sit by the sidelines and wanting to say something if it needs to be said. I know post counts mean nothing but I would rather be non combative and shut up and learn "FIRST" then add input later. Thanks to the MODS for there justice in the matter at hand. :thumb:

To Phil and the Mod Squad

10-4 !!!
Thanks for all that you do to keep this forum fun and enjoyable :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

But even with the changes it's still the best place on the internet to hang out.

YES IT IS!!!!.....Thanks to all that have made it great :clap2::clap2::thumb::thumb::clap2::clap2:

I've learned a few things over the years: 1 -- written communications are harder to do well than in-person. It is easy to say something innocently and be taken incorrectly or say something you shouldn't put in print. 2 -- If you can't say something nice, say it very, very carefully or not at all (is there anything to be gained in saying it?). 3 -- Sites without good, active, principled moderators fall into arguments and nastiness. So, THANK YOU Brethren moderators. I sincerely appreciate your time. If it weren't for your efforts this wouldn't be the quality site that it is.

Hub

Back