Proper Thawing of a Christmas Turkey ?

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
We will be getting a hard frozen Turkey tomorrow. About 2 days late for Dec. 24th. I'm thinking about leaving it out to start thawing for about 6 hours and then refrigerate for a slow thaw. This bird will be trussed and injected to night before and will be Cajun Fried in my Char-Broil Oil less Turkey fryer Early Christmas morning. Bird weight will not exceed 16#.

Any suggestions welcome and Thanks. Merry Christmas to all!

Cool bird trussing video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRQMZZsYk0s

If we run short on time to do a complete fridge thaw, we employ the cold water thaw technique:

1. Thaw turkey breast side down, in an unopened wrapper, with enough cold water to cover your turkey completely.
2. Change water every 30 minutes and if turkey cannot be completely covered, rotate every 30 minutes to keep the turkey chilled.
3. You can expect 30 minutes of thawing per pound of turkey.

Thaw unwrapped in cooler of cold water, keep submerged. Check water temp and add ice if necessary. Allow 2-3 days to thaw.

If we run short on time to do a complete fridge thaw, we employ the cold water thaw technique:

1. Thaw turkey breast side down, in an unopened wrapper, with enough cold water to cover your turkey completely.
2. Change water every 30 minutes and if turkey cannot be completely covered, rotate every 30 minutes to keep the turkey chilled.
3. You can expect 30 minutes of thawing per pound of turkey.

Pretty much what I do.
Sometimes I thaw in a brine mixture. Water, salt and sugar.

You MUST have an oil fried turkey completely thawed, ice crystals, hot oil, No Bueno!
Ed

I'm using an oil-less turkey fryer. Have deep fried over 300 turkeys and agree 100% about oil frying with any water/ice present. Don't do it!

Let me ask an honest question. I keep seeing the advice to change the water every 30 minutes. Why is this? I'm assuming it's to keep the water cold to retard spoilage? I've done this (because I'm "supposed to") but I've often poured off water that was very cold just to top it off with tap water that was a lot warmer than what I just poured off the frozen meat? Wouldn't it be better to have a rule of thumb water temp and just add a bit of ice if needed to maintain THAT temp?

I use a briner container with the insert to keep turkey from floating. Leave shrink wrapped and put in big utility sink with cold water from faucet just on. This keeps water moving and avoids you having to mess with it every 30mins. Super wasteful but we did this to thaw everything when I worked in a high end restaurant.

Let me ask an honest question. I keep seeing the advice to change the water every 30 minutes. Why is this? I'm assuming it's to keep the water cold to retard spoilage? I've done this (because I'm "supposed to") but I've often poured off water that was very cold just to top it off with tap water that was a lot warmer than what I just poured off the frozen meat? Wouldn't it be better to have a rule of thumb water temp and just add a bit of ice if needed to maintain THAT temp?

It's just the opposite. The water will try to assume the temp of the frozen bird slowing defrosting. Changing the water every 1/2 hour keeps the water temp high enough to thaw the turkey.

Back