Prepping for Cheese Steaks

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
With this being school vacation week here in Massachusetts, I got a request from my great nieces and nephew that they're sorely in need of Uncle Dom's famous Mac n Cheese. Who am I to turn down such a request? I've been making this since I joined the forum way back in 2010 or so and it's been a huge hit in the family. It's Bob's Brew n Que recipe and fortunately the family prefers it over the boxed stuff. Whew! I get requests for it often and it makes a superb birthday gift. :becky:

Anyway, they'll be here for lunch tomorrow and we're not even having Mac n Cheese (meanie that I am). :laugh: It's made and will be going home with them. So what's on the menu? Cheese steak.

I partially froze and thinly sliced a top round roast this morning, so that's ready to go. Provolone and White American are at the ready (sorry Philly folks, Cheez Whiz simply does not belong on cheese steak). Peppers, shrooms, whatever additions they want. (And I want.)

I know, get to the point. I simply could not just buy sub rolls, so Cuban bread was prepared today. Double batch. Surprisingly, not sourdough.

Some pics.

Overnight levain, flour, water, yeast, etc. -

WGv7trS.jpg

Eventually became one good looking dough ball -

FLcxEn5.jpg

I made two separate batches, concerned that a double recipe might not fit in the KitchenAid. With both dough balls combined, into the oven to proof with the oven light on. After a few hours -

2Ns2nGA.jpg

Formed into individual dough balls and proofed once more -

hnZvToK.jpg

And eventually into Baguettes -

NP4cAJF.jpg

They're finally done -

aktYaj6.jpg

AY3Xyzo.jpg

They're a bit thinner than I'd like but I think they'll be just fine. The Cuban Bread recipe turns out two large baguettes, I've made eight smaller ones with the double recipe. They look and smell wonderful.

Oh yeah, here's the Mac n Cheese -

GjY4WZj.jpg

More to come tomorrow, hopefully I'll remember to take pics out on the Blackstone of the cheese steaks.

Regards,
-lunchman

Rolls look perfect Mac and cheese looks fantastic-would like a recipe for that I know my cheese steaks and you are right Cheez Whiz has no place on a good/proper cheese steak

The rolls and Mac and cheese look excellent.

Us Philly folks know that cheese whiz doesn’t belong on a cheesesteak. The tourist traps serve it that way because they don’t want to take the time to make a proper cheesecake.

They pre cook a large pile of beef. Pre fry a giant pile of onions, and keep a warm pot of cheese whiz going. When someone orders a cheesteak it only takes them 30 seconds to throw the pre cooked steak, onion, and cheese whiz on the roll.

I never timed it, but a proper cheesteak probably takes 5 minutes to make at least, from the time you start frying the onion, put the beef on top of the frying onion, chink it(which is breaking the meat into pieces with two spatulas), and melt the cheese on it.

Last edited:
Dom, is there a recipe for the mac n cheese floating around anywhere?

Your rolls look delicious, Sir!!

http://smoke-n-brew.blogspot.com/2009/10/mac-n-cheese.html

As mentioned, I've used this recipe for years. I like that it includes Bovine Bold. I change up the cheeses almost every time I make it, though have never included Gruyere. This batch has sharp white Cheddar, Yellow Cheddar, Colby Jack and Gouda. Oh, and I've never added the sherry. Someday I should try it. Nobody likes a bread crumb topping, so I dust it with fresh Parmesan.

Saute onions and peppers, add flour, spices and butter to make a roux. Add half n half to make a Bechamel, once thickened add it to the shredded cheese. Then mix in with the pasta.

The family expects this for cookouts, Christmas, etc. And I never disappoint them.

-Dom

Cheesesteak Subs are Ready!

I didn't forget to take pictures.

Gonna need a bigger griddle. Steak, onions, red and green peppers, mushrooms, sausage and fries -

9uNsdG2.jpg

AFhK4Fs.jpg

GtyqgVV.jpg

gIaDOlG.jpg

Two with Provolone, two with American -

7XjUxmh.jpg

Steam the roll a bit to help melt the cheese. Get a long spatula under them. The result: four successful attempts to get these onto the rolls -

mJRTklx.jpg

Mine. Loaded up a tad. OK, a Lot! -

mnShrdL.jpg

whvWJa7.jpg

PicESi7.jpg

Honestly, I could only finish one half. I must be losing my touch.

My nieces and nephew loved it. Plus they have a take home tray of Mac n Cheese.

My wife opted for a Sausage sub with Peppers. Yum as well.

The Cuban bread was great. I was thinking it would be too small for each sandwich but the size was perfect.

Anyway, thanks for following along with today's Cheesesteak Subs. I'll most likely enter this into the Foods You Love throwdown, it should qualify.

Regards,
-lunchman

Looks terrific Dom!

Not sure who those "nobody"'s are, but crumb topping (that's been cooked to a beautiful GBD: Golden, Brown, Delicious) finish is amazing on mac n cheese!

Bruce

That would be the nobodys I cook for and since they're my somebodies, they make the call. :becky: I love a great crumb topping when it's baked, but I don't count. :rolleyes:

Good looking sammich! Nice work on the bread too, I have no baking skills

https://www.mystoryinrecipes.com/blog-posts/cuban-bread

Time to give it a try, Tom.

For those looking for the recipe, it's from Cook's Country/ America's Test Kitchen but their site now wants you to log in. This site I've linked has that recipe posted. You can also watch the YouTube videos which are educational.

It's a very forgiving dough, which I'd attribute to the inclusion of lard.

When made to its normal size of two loaves per standard recipe, it turns out nice and wide, which I think is perfect for a Cuban sandwich. Now of course, I want one of those. :becky:

Great looking grill and spread! Griddle photo is impressive.

re: Mac recipe/link Not sure I would be adding the sherry either or what it contributes or possibly covers up. Just speculating, it might add a little bite that may be lacking in the gouda/gruyere. My little place used Colemans dry mustard and found it could also provide bite/sharpness that cheeses may lack.

Your extended family is very blessed.

Back