pork butt

rober

Knows what a fatty is.
i haven't been around for awhile. local grocer had packer packed butts on sale so i bought a couple. these have a heavy fat cap much like a brisket. i trimmed the cap & put it in the smoker. i did the charcoal ring trick. ( cajun bandit on a 22" weber ). it's been at 270ish for around 5 hours & has a nice bark. internal temp. is 163*. at this point would y'all wrap it? anyone ever flip them over?

never flipped pork butt myself. I remove from heat, wrap, rest in a cooler at about 195-200. rest for 2-3hrs, pull it and eat/vacuum pack for the freezer.

You're doing great. I would keep going unwrapped and spray it with water if possible, pull it around 200f. Rest for as long as possible.. Flip it over if you want.

If you want to eat it tonight I'd probably raise the temp.

have a flank steak marianating for london broil for tonight.
i have pulled the butt & finished rendering the fat in a crock pot but i want to finish on the grill this time. i've been spraying it with an apple juice/beer mix. i think i'll flip the fat cap to the bottom so i can re-season the meat.
just saw my 1st hummingbird of the year!!

have a flank steak marianating for london broil for tonight.
i have pulled the butt & finished rendering the fat in a crock pot but i want to finish on the grill this time. i've been spraying it with an apple juice/beer mix. i think i'll flip the fat cap to the bottom so i can re-season the meat.
just saw my 1st hummingbird of the year!!
he's there for the pork man!!!! nom nom

the meat got to 195. i wrapped it, put it back on, & choked down the grill. it's resting while the grill cools. the grill is already at 175.
thanks for the guidance. i mostly know what i'm doing but a little reassurance never hurts.

When I was cooking competition on a drum, with the heat source below the meat I would flip twice. I never took the internal temp. I wrapped when the bark color was where I like it, and then cooked until the butt was probe tender. I still use the same basic process.

i pulled the wrapped butt & let it rest in a cooler for 3 hours. it turned out perfect. it fell apart. i used a fork to rake off any fat, pulled it, & put it away. no chopping needed. the bark & smoke were just right. i used the remaining fire to grill a london broil. it turned great as well.

Attachments

• buttt.jpg
    buttt.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 10
  • butt.jpg
    butt.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 10
I was thinking about doing a butt this weekend, my daughter's favorite thing. You just confirmed that I do need to cook one. Yours looks perfect!

I did a couple last week when they were on sale for $0.88/lb.

I put a few in the freezer too...

Can't go wrong with it....so easy to cook, little to no trimming necessary, and almost "set it and forget it" cooking style....

I did a couple last week when they were on sale for $0.88/lb.

I put a few in the freezer too...

Can't go wrong with it....so easy to cook, little to no trimming necessary, and almost "set it and forget it" cooking style....
wow, you can't NOT buy butts at that price!!! I would have likely bought 6-8 of them and stored some in my folks freezer as well.

wow, you can't NOT buy butts at that price!!! I would have likely bought 6-8 of them and stored some in my folks freezer as well.
Well, while they aren't at that price as often as they used to be.....I wouldn't exactly call it "rare" to see them at that price.

I do usually keep 4-8 of them in my big chest freezer at any given time.

*SIGH*

I miss the days of the $0.99/lb beef briskets tho.....haven't seen that in a few years.

around me the norm is about 1.50-2.00/lb for pork and prime brisket is 5+/lb at sams club. both still cheaper than buying steaks tho. :p

Back