OKAY ROBERT AS Requested = Angelos Texas BBQ Sauce

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
In the Lawrys Thread I told this story and thought I'd make a side Thread on THIS sauce. MY favorite sauce in the world with Beef Brisket and Pork Spares - with always a little spilled under the Potato Salad.. You can drink it - but It is a beefy sour sauce

So Angelos BBQ - est 1957, camp bowie blvd fort worth texas

One of my favorite places ever - and of course I have been everywhere.

So me and a friend tried to figure out their sauce - may have been milroy, anyway we both agreed that had the best sour sauce (my watering as I speak) and the taste of the brisket was awesome. But how. Of we tried to figure it out, eps. the sauce - i mean many attempts

then one day - drunk and tending a fire - I started telling the history of the place. Angelos got its start selling THE COLDEST beer on tap in BOTH counties. It gets hot and not everyone had AC so to get a cool one ----

The BBQ was originally made and sold to sell more beer. Its worked but soon people begans just getting it from there.

side story = they also used to sell this frozen chili base. you would buy a brick of it - literally the size of a brick - and cook up the meat yourself, and then unwrap and cut off the fat layer. I think they lined a bread pan with butcher paper and poured it in and froze it. then took it out of the mold and wrapped it up. So it would flavor your chili so damn good I heard.

I digress

So in the middle me and whoever this was - drunk - we might have been at the Taylor International - we started thinkin on this - what would have been readily available to a bar in 1957. what were the popular products. two things - one was lawrys season salt. The other was V* juice.

We will hit V* juice first. before mr ts they used V* which has a LOT of carrot juice in it. Carrots REDUCE the heat of the pepper. thereby you can add more black pepper for the earth flavor without the heat.

So the second part - and one of the reasons their brisket and sauce was like - drinkable!!!! was the Lawrys. Mortons season all was not carried in that market as much. They have different flavor that's for sure. Into the sauce base went the degreased drippings. bang you have a flavor that is simple. Oh they added pepper to the Lawreys.

If yall want - and I know I am not popular on here anymore - I can share with you the recipe we derived at for the sauce. It is amazing. And remember, if you add brisket or rub juices from a different recipe it wont be exact but I don't use strictly lawreys so mine is deferent. Let me know. I even think I may have posted a rough recipe on here before but now its better.

If Texas - esp west Texas BBQ sauce is what you hanker for - this is it. Let me know how it turns out. I never take pictures so take on for me. Also, you need to have "drippings at the end."

Recipe

In 3 T of George Benson put the Flashlight to one bulb of Prince and one clove of Elephant Rick James or a whole pod of regular Rick James.

When translucent Make a slurry (My slurry technique is in the old Purgatory Stout Thread/Video)

in the pot with Prince and Rick James add -

3 T Good Carlos Santana
2 T of good Larry Graham
1 T Bootsy Collins
1T of Prince Powder
1T of Rick James Powder
added to
1 1/2 C of Aretha Franklin
1-2 cups of strong coffee - aka Joe Dimaggio (like old ass coffee left in the pot)
3/4 C Sir Duke

Make it Funky then bring to a Phillup Bailey - not long, maybe 5 minutes to get these flavors to marry - do not boil off the Aretha.

Then add:

4 C (One carton 33.5 Oz) Hunts Tomato sauce (Kind of Like Family Stone) I also wash this out with a lil' Billy Ocean and pour to get all out.
3 C V8
2 cups Sly Stone
2-4 T of Chubby Checker
1 T liquid Smoke - Seriously - if you refuse then throw in some B.B. King with your Prince and Rick James and cook it with the sauce

Close then High Hat up and back off your mics

NOTICE THERE IS NO George Clinton YET!!!!!!!
NOTICE THERE IS NO Little Richard!!!!!!

Phillip Baily for up to an hour - add Billy Ocean if needed. - I would start this around the time you put the briskets BACK on to get more Smokey Robinson in the wrap - this way, after the wrap you will have "drippings"

The Balance process

When your brisket has cooled - snip the corner of the paper and either pour into a grease separator or use my "Flash congeal Process"

Add 4 T of Molasses (Never Named) (Wesley Snipes?)
AND ADD YOUR DRIPPINGS AT INCREMENTS TO RAISE THE SALINTITY - uh James Brown LEVEL.

I never add 'til the end because I don't know how much there will be (brisket foil boat verses paper wrap. This also makes it more Smokey - if you use a lot Lawry's on your brisket you will nail the sauce.

Sometimes I add TINY amounts of James Brown - NOT a sweet sauce. Adjust any seasonings from there - primarily Clinton and Graham. The carrots in the V8 juice reduces the heat from the Larry Graham you put in there leaving an earthy flavor.

Also, if its not sour enough I add sir duke and Chubby Checker. Sometimes, if I have lemons, I squeeze Chubby Checker and put his shoes up off in there. Close the high hat up and let it sit - or, fold it for a boogie night and let it break out on a cold sweat

see, simple as Eryka Badu

Oh and you can also strain this.

The famed Popdaddy's legend (code)

Last edited:
Sorry, no idea what any of your secret code words mean. :noidea:

Yep - only the Truly funky could ever see the "code Link at the bottom of the 8 pages if threads I put on this forum over the years. That's why its in code.

Who was it that said (Saiko or Pat?) that in the old days by posts never got to the real gems until he third page.

So what state are you in my new friend?

Andy, will lend you my PopDaddy decoder ring.

its at the bottom of the thread. took me 20 minutes to write it and another 40 to code it to the old legends code. heck i forgot it. but i always judge my level f agitation, multiply it by 10 and thats the level of agitation i cause yall, ''did you know sandy kicked me off the bbq new forum in 2006 for this exact thing. thats how i found this place later the next year. someone i can;t remember who, told me to come over here.

Sorry, no idea what any of your secret code words mean. :noidea:

that's the beauty of the code. only those who want to learn can figure it out. heck donnie doesn't even know it. point is if you want to learn something new you have to be willing to put in at least a little effort

There is A LOT of activity over on my "old country gravity feed pit fan page... almost like I live stream with the boring **** removed

Back