THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Find out how much it would be to get a short load delivered. Getting concrete delivered is cheaper than you think and is a lot less hassle. I’d also see if they have a guy who could finish it for you. The two jobs I won’t touch is concrete and mudding drywall. It’s not much more to hire a professional and you are pretty much guaranteed excellent results.

One other thing about the difference between ready mix and the mix of sand, gravel and cement in the bags of Quick-crete. There are additives such as calcium chloride in the cement of Quick-crete that facilitate the poured concrete to set more quickly than ready mix. In other words, if you use ready mix, you will have more time to pour the mud, vibrate it and screed it before the poured concrete becomes too set to work with.

Why not just get a a yard of premix in a mixer and tow it home ? You can wheel it little by little to the back if necessary. Won't set quickly as they usually mix an inhibitor to allow transport.... I think ....

This is exactly what I did helping my FIL pour a new patio slab. I think it took two trips even. No way would I want to mix several dozen bags of concrete by hand, yikes!

Nothing poured yet. I started diggin everything out and as I was sittin on patio I thought if I am going to do a project lets do a project. I have now marked off a 371 sq ft patio extension with a retaining wall. One section will have a cinderblock base for a forno bravo pizza oven I will build and then countertop with my Komodo Kamado next to it. 250 offset down side

Next section will have natural gas fire pit of fire wall. Next year I will build pergola over whole thing

This is new plan. Just have get cost of few remaining materials.

c7e2e7f7094c2733b2017fcef7b7cc98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have an area of 371 square feet? That ciphers out to roughly to a square that measure 19.25' per side. Pouring that square 4" deep means you are going to need a little over 4.5 cubic yards of mud just for the pad itself. And 4.5 yards does not allow for spillage, waste and poor math used for the estimate concrete needed. (I always try to guesstimate a little more than what is needed.) This amount does not include the footing so there will be more mud needed. This also does not consider the amount for your retaining wall either. If it were me, I think I would pour the footings and the wall first and let them set up and cure before I poured the pad. I hope you can make a path for the concrete truck to get back there. Good luck!

You have an area of 371 square feet? That ciphers out to roughly to a square that measure 19.25' per side. Pouring that square 4" deep means you are going to need a little over 4.5 cubic yards of mud just for the pad itself. And 4.5 yards does not allow for spillage, waste and poor math used for the estimate concrete needed. (I always try to guesstimate a little more than what is needed.) This amount does not include the footing so there will be more mud needed. This also does not consider the amount for your retaining wall either. If it were me, I think I would pour the footings and the wall first and let them set up and cure before I poured the pad. I hope you can make a path for the concrete truck to get back there. Good luck!

Down side is no path for truck. My options are wheel barrow or pour slab in 3 sections. Also I am working with buddy on getting deals on pallets of pavers. If I can do that I will paver whole thing and continue on to existing patio. Ill leave a 5x5 square to pour concrete for pizza oven build.

I got quote yesterday for paver with retaining wall which includes covering existing patio with blocks. $7k. Im tempted

I just went through this a little over a year ago for a patio for my new smoker and a table with 4 chairs. Settled on 10 x 14 and also needed a 5 x 7 slab near the front door for an end table and 2 chairs. Both 4" thick with fiber added to the concrete for strength.

Checked paver prices and they were crazy high. Only got two quotes for concrete after calling four companies. Seems none of them like doing small jobs. One guy came in at $2200 written quote and another was $3200 for both slabs.

Emailed the $2200 guy and said let's do it. Never heard back from him after repeated calls and emails. Guess he screwed up the quote. So called the $3200 guy and he said he'd need a copy of my lot survey and some other form I'd have to fill out and get notarized for permit purposes. OK, let's do it.

So they pulled the permit, dug and framed both areas and had a concrete pump truck show up to pump in the patio and wheel barreled from the pump truck to the front 5 x 7. The cost was $3200. Don't know if that was a good deal or not, but I was happy with the final product.

Should have read the whole thread before I opened my fingers to type. :-D

Sounds like a nice set up when you’re done. Looking forward to the pics.

Last edited:
So pulled trigger on paver patio. Will be just over 400sq ft and should be done in April based on how far out contractor is

Now just need to come up with funds for remaining DIY items

Tread carefully (I know), I started out with a 'lil paver project that made a walkway look bad which in turn made the cooker patio look poorly, long story short, it cost me half a new car.
Ed

Down payment submitted and work to be done by eod next Friday. Below is final sketch with dimensions. Going with mega old town glacier paver with sandstone retaining wall

I do need some help with pizza oven layout so I can reinforce that area with concrete. The iven will be a 54” diameter circle with a 12” landing. What dimensions am I looking at for cinder block walls? I dont have material to make a mockup.

33c7aa9ec1b04828ee6f4ed78d164e61.jpg

Back